Landmarks, GVWR and hitch weight

Seren

Will be buying a Landmark Grand Canyon next month, was going to get the Key Largo, but there will be a Grand Canyon that is coming in that has all the upgrades that we want and we were want to keep it under 40'. I noticed that all the Landmarks have the same GVWR (16250), but the dry weight can vary as much as 1000 lbs, which also affects the hitch weight. The Grand Canyon for example has the least hitch weight at 2295 lbs, while the Savannah has the most hitch weight is 3130 lbs, a significant difference. I would assume that these hitch weights are based on the dry weight vice GVWR, but what is interesting is if you take the hitch weight and divide by the dry weight the percentages vary from 18% for the Grand Canyon, to 21% for the Savannah. So my question is (1) Does anyone know how Heartland came up with these figures? It would seem to be fairly important since this implies that a lighter RV like the Grand Canyon as the ability to hold 1000 lbs more than the heavier ones. In addition, it would make a big difference for determining the hitch weight of a loaded Grand Canyon since they are implying with the 18% dry hitch weight that more weight will be at the back of the RV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD?

MTPockets

The actual hitch/pin weight will vary depending on options installed. The catalog weights should be considered as approximate. For example, dual pane windows, washer/dryer, or a generator will add weight. Keep in mind also, how you load your trailer will affect your pin weight. We full time, have the generator, and a closet full of clothes plus under bed storage. Also, the items in the basement. Our pin weight is 3400 lbs. based on actual scale weight.

danemayer

I'm not certain, but I think manufacturers may spec the empty/dry weight based on the prototype, before "forced options" are added. And of course as MTPockets mentioned, the options you may select all add to the empty/dry weight. So the dry/empty weight, and the actual weight as the trailer goes out the door may vary considerably.

Differences between Landmarks may be in part due to the floorplan differences. The mega slideouts are pretty heavy and front-to-rear position of the kitchen counters and appliances may contribute to pin weight differences.

The most important number will be the actual pin weight when you're all loaded up. Until then, I'd suggest planning on at least 20% of GVWR, or about 3,200 lbs.

Our Rushmore spec was 2,620 and actual is about 3,500. Washer/Dryer up front, generator up front, basement full of heavy stuff all contribute to that.

Seren

Thanks for the info. Looks like 3400-3500 gor a fully loaded Landmark. Just saw that there is an actual main topic for the different brands, should have put it there. How can I this thread moved to the Landmark brand topic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD