Les Schwab Tires now in Southern California

wdk450

Gang:
For years now I have been singing the praises of the Les Schwab Tires chain, originally out of Bend, Oregon. They were all through the Northwest States, and in California South to about Fresno 5 years ago. Since then they have been opening new stores slowly more southward in California, and I recently saw announcements on their website of new stores in Upland, Riverside, Moreno Valley and Perris. They all keep a set a good quality brand the 110 PSI LR G tires that the big 5th wheel RV's use.

Last edited:

LBR

Gang:
For years now I have been singing the praises of the Les Schwab Tires chain, originally out of Bend, Oregon. They were all through the Northwest States, and in California South to about Fresno 5 years ago. Since then they have been opening new stores slowly more southward in California, and I recently saw announcements on their website of new stores in Upland, Riverside, Moreno Valley and Perris. They all keep a set of 4 of the 110 PSI LR G tires that the big 5th wheel RV's use.
We have dealt with Les Schwab solely in our business and personal side for about 35 years. They are a great chain to have an account with as when we need any servicing on the road, the charges are billed to our monthly account with no issues.

SNOKING

They are OK and have generally good service, not as good however without Les himself around. Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I do a lot of business with Les Schwab. There customer service is outstanding, some stores are better then others. My main store here in Manteca has been one of the best around.
I have trailers running all over norther California and they have always been there when I need them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have one here in Thornton, CO . . .

Never been there, but next time I need tires (soon on two vehicles) . . . I'll check them out.

wdk450

I remember a story posted on this forum in 2010 about a Heartlander travelling along the Oregon coast on US 101. Well, they had one of their springs break (probably due to poor Chinese steel in the springs) North of Tillamook, Oregon. They chained up their broken axle and limped into Tillamook, and the Les Schwab store there. As I remember it the Les Schwab folks made most of the arrangements with Lippert to get new springs airfreighted out, set up the 5th wheel RV behind the tire store with 15 amp electricity and water, and got the 5er rolling again in a couple of days at a nominal price.

The Les Schwab tire delivery trucks that deliver the tires to the stores from the warehouses have this motto on the back: "IF WE CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WE WON'T SELL IT".

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I remember a story posted on this forum in 2010 about a Heartlander travelling along the Oregon coast on US 101. Well, they had one of their springs break (probably due to poor Chinese steel in the springs) North of Tillamook, Oregon. They chained up their broken axle and limped into Tillamook, and the Les Schwab store there. As I remember it the Les Schwab folks made most of the arrangements with Lippert to get new springs airfreighted out, set up the 5th wheel RV behind the tire store with 15 amp electricity and water, and got the 5er rolling again in a couple of days at a nominal price.

The Les Schwab tire delivery trucks that deliver the tires to the stores from the warehouses have this motto on the back: "IF WE CAN'T GUARANTEE IT WE WON'T SELL IT".

When we had complete axle and spring failure, along with a wheel bearing burn out on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner in Phoenix, AZ last year (January 2015), we wound up having a $1000 band aid repair to get us home as we were told it would take at least a week to get a new axle shipped from Elkhart to Phoenix.

I will say that I give a heads up to Sun City RV in Mesa, AZ as they set us up next door to them for the night and took us in at 8 a.m. the next morning, and had us on our way to the 2015 Quartzite/Brenda HOC Rally by 6:00 p.m the next day!

Here we are next door (look closely at the leaning front door side tire on the trailer - wheel bearing burned out) . . .

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg

And then on our way at 6:00 p.m. the next day to the 2015 Arizona HOC Quartzite Rally at Brenda, AZ (notice how low the tires are to the frame of the trailer):

SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

Basically, it was discovered that the axles from the factory were underated for this trailer and the weight of the Trail Runner (1000 pounds more than the axles were rated for) completely empty was making the Trail Runner bottom out on the tires, causing damage to the floor of the trailer and the slide out. (I have pics if requested)

As much as we loved our Trail Runner . . . that trip to the Arizona HOC Rally was the beginning of the end of that Trail Runner for us . . .

As much as we love our new 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheeler . . . we do miss that Trail Runner for the many reasons that we bought it in the first place.

Turned out to be a nearly $4000 repair (not including the $1000 band aid fix in Phoenix), although I will say that Lippert and Heartland did kick in about half of the repair bill.

All that being said . . . it seems that the powers that be dictated to us a 5th-wheeler upgrade!

And so far . . . we love it!

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020317.jpg

Crumgater

We made the mistake of buying tires from someone OTHER than Les Schwab ONCE. Never again. Schwab still stands by their product and has the best customer service around. SO Glad we have them all around us here in the Seattle area!

SNOKING

Just don't try to tell my friend that found a missing grease seal after Les worked on his truck, that they have great service! Chris

wdk450

I would be willing to bet that Les Schwab tires "made it right" with your friend.

Every employee at every business can make an occasional mistake. I even made one once in my 29 years working for the University of California.

SNOKING

I would be willing to bet that Les Schwab tires "made it right" with your friend.

Every employee at every business can make an occasional mistake. I even made one once in my 29 years working for the University of California.

Took wife's Buick Rainier into my local LS to have the snow tires/wheels installed a couple years ago. I told the tech he did not have a couple hub cabs on correctly and he said they were correct. So I fixed them myself before driving off and loosing two of them.

Chris

Gaffer

Les sells TowMax. I was in for a rotation on my Les Schwab Toyos and they said I need new front brakes. Didn't like their price and dropped it off at a repair shop. They called me a bit later to pick up my truck and there was no charge because I didn't need new brakes yet. I used to sing the Les Schwab praise song too but I think the company has gone downhill since the founders passing.

picdodge

Les Schwab has been good to me on truck tires but their trailer tires are blow max with no warranty. I had one with 60 miles on it less than one year old blow sitting in the back yard mounted to the spare rack of my utility trailer. Still had the nubs on it. No warranty. I inquired recently on 6 new 15" 10ply for the 4012. My guy there advised me to Maxxis but they didnt stock them they only stocked blowmax. He stated they were looking for a reliable trailer tire manufacturer for 15 inchers. I got set of Gladiators from an independent for 1/2 the cost of Les's. Fingers crossed they sure look like a fine tire.
Schawb is my go to for Truck and OTR tires.

wdk450

Les Schwab has been good to me on truck tires but their trailer tires are blow max with no warranty. I had one with 60 miles on it less than one year old blow sitting in the back yard mounted to the spare rack of my utility trailer. Still had the nubs on it. No warranty. I inquired recently on 6 new 15" 10ply for the 4012. My guy there advised me to Maxxis but they didnt stock them they only stocked blowmax. He stated they were looking for a reliable trailer tire manufacturer for 15 inchers. I got set of Gladiators from an independent for 1/2 the cost of Les's. Fingers crossed they sure look like a fine tire.
Schawb is my go to for Truck and OTR tires.

I wonder how the they can sell NO WARRANTY Towmax tires, and then STILL have the slogan "If We Won't Guarantee it, We won't Sell It" printed on the backs of their warehouse delivery trucks. I would challenge them on this issue.

picdodge

There is always the fine print. They wouldn't guaranty tires for mileage guaranty on my duelie either. Asper manufacturer, they said. They took care of me on the duelie. That was a few years ago I heard they mileage guaranty duelie tires now. Its all marketing and they state when you purchase trailer tires there is no warranty/guaranty. I wouldn't run blowmaxes even with a guaranty.

danemayer

picdodge,

Apart from your conversations with Les Schwab, Towmax tires do come with a warranty. Here's a link to the Towmax documentation. As with most tire manufacturers, the warranty may not be very satisfying. But quite a few people have received some reimbursement or an offer to replace the failed tire. That may not be what you want, but it is available to you as per their documents.