Looking at the 2014 3800 with arctic package

Grdsman

My wife and I are looking at doing some semi-fulltime living and were considering moving away from a toy-hauler into a traditional 5th wheel, in the hopes of getting better R values for cold weather. I just happened to hear about the arctic package available in the Cyclone and was curious about how they are handling very cold conditions. We live in Colorado and typically see lows in the teens to zero degrees. How difficult is it to keep the rig in a comfortable temperature range during these cold nights? Are a couple of electric space heaters enough to supplement the forced-air heat to keep it in the 60's?
We currently have a 2008 Cyclone 3210 that is horrible in the cold. I normally can only get it about 30 degrees higher than the outside temp.
Thanks!
Mike

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Mike, there are some on this forum that have added insulation and made modifications to the water systems for long-term cold weather living. There was a fellow a few years ago that lived in his Cyclone while working in Wyoming, so it can be done.

Mizmary

I think the garage is the weak point. If the living space is your only concern it will be easier. Order with double pane windows. We fulltime in San Diego and the garage area gets noticeably cooler/warmer than the rest. The floor isn't as insulated. I will say, though, that the cyclone is better than our other sob toy hauler at temperatures ( though San Diego doesn't have much "temperature" to speak of.)

danemayer

Hi Grdsman,

I can't speak to the Cyclone, but I can tell you that our 2011 Landmark is pretty comfy in Breckenridge, CO in January and February with overnight temps often well below zero and as low as -30F. Our Landmark was built prior to introduction of the Yeti/Canadian Arctic Package, but we did order it with tank heaters. We've also added heat tape to the water lines and extra insulation in the underbelly. The fireplace option helps a lot and dual pane windows help with ice buildup. On extremely cold mornings we'll supplement with a ceramic disc heater.

There's an owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that has tips you may find useful for dealing with extreme weather.

ross0547

Hi! Greetings from Manitoba Canada, where we enjoy stretching the seasons, spring and fall. We have a 2012 Sundance-Polar Pkg. with 3 slides, and find we can keep comfortable with the fireplace heater, a floor heater (750W) and the CEILING FAN on low-important point to keep air circulation. Also I put a heat lamp in the front hatch just to be safe. I like the Sundance because all the water and bathroom lines are in the mid-part of the RV, and easy to access and keep above zero! Good luck!