Looking for advice on new tires for my Chevy Silverado 3500 HD (dually)

Jim.Allison

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/warranty-options/

All Firestone LT tires are covered by Firestone Gold Pledge Warranty, including the Transforce AT, and Duravis in non commercial service.

The Firestone dealer provided me with an extended warranty for road hazard. I learned to buy road hazard a long time ago.

There is no "replacement" warranty on this tire except road hazard. But like any other brand it will be prorated. e.g. 50,000 mile "replacement warranty" It will be prorated to 2/32 tread remaining.

I dont think that you can get a Firestone from Costco. Costco also gives grief if you want a tire that is not on their application guide for your TV.

Jim.Allison

If you can get it, Costco might have a Bridgestone, LT275/65R20 "Dueler A/T Revo 2", it is rated at 3750 lbs. But it has a 34.1 inch diameter.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I had two sets of Firestone Transforce on my Ram 3500, DRW, and they were great tires.

Jim.Allison

I have to agree, I rotate exactly as RAM states. Just so happens that each time I tow my trailer the same tires have been on the rear axle. The rig does take some tread off, but considering everything they are wearing like iron. I keep a tread gage in the glove compartment. My next long trip I will insure that my best tires are on the drive axle.

I had two sets of Firestone Transforce on my Ram 3500, DRW, and they were great tires.

porthole

Retired
Firestone will provide tire insurance. You can also get 30 day test and trial. You have 30 days from date of purchase to return them. I don't think there are any mileage warranties from anyone on this kind of tire.

Firestone will provide tire insurance - for a fee. $25 per IIRC

Jim.Allison

I have a copy of it, It is the same warranty as all warranties. The only exclusion is if the tire is used for commercial duty. There is no exclusion for us. They have a 30 day return or exchange for a different tire if you don't like or want the tire for any reason regardless of mileage. It will be replaced in the first 1/32 of wear regardless, but if you have used only half of the tread you will only pay for half of the new tire in the event of a defect.

What people might be referring to when they say the tire does not have a warrantee, is a replacement guarantee. If the tire fails it will be adjusted based on tread wear rather than replacement without regard to treadwear for X number of miles often referred to as a 50,000 mile replacement. This tire does not have such a warranty. Most "floatation" tires do not have a predetermined replacement guarantee.

To say that this tire does not have a warrantee is an error. You can access the warrantee at Firestone.com

Did you get a chance to look at the special "gold" warranty?

Jim.Allison

I dont know about costco, but Sams Cost $1 per tire BUT you loose the road hazard if you let your membership expire. Same with Batteries, I will never be a Sams Member again.

I think if I purchase tires through Costco they come with a road hazzard warranty. Anyone have any experience with this?

porthole

Retired
I did not pay that much for my extended warrantee. I think I paid $12.

No doubt the $25 per I paid have to do with our fine road system.

I have a copy of it, It is the same warranty as all warranties. The only exclusion is if the tire is used for commercial duty. There is no exclusion for us.

To say that this tire does not have a warrantee is an error. You can access the warrantee at Firestone.com

There is no road hazard warranty included, it is an extra cost item.

FIRESTONE GOLD PLEDGE LIMITED WARRANTY

The Gold Pledge Limited Warranty covers all Firestone brand passenger and light truck tires except winter, and “temporary use” spare tires.
A tire covered by the Gold Pledge Limited Warranty will be replaced with an equivalent new tire either free of charge or for a pro-rated amount

if the tire becomes unusable for any reason within the manufacturer’s control under the conditions listed in the Warranty Manual

The key point is in red.
Try and find the "conditions listed in the Warranty Manual".

OWNER’S OBLIGATIONS

In order to keep this Limited Warranty valid, we require you to have your tires regularly inspected and rotated per the recommendations outlined in the sections of this manual entitled “Tire Damage, Inspection, and Service Life” and “Radial Tire Rotation,” and to furnish proof of same in order to receive an adjustment. Such proof should show the date, mileage, and servicing location. A sales receipt containing this information will suffice. In addition, a “Tire Maintenance Record” is included in this manual.

Try and find that section, and get your tires regularly inspected.

I never said it had no warranty.

I did say

Just a note on the Transforce tires. When I bought my front tires I was informed there is no road hazard warranty on the tires. And the tire warranty is very limited as it is.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't see where any of these tire warranties cover damage to the vehicle.

I've read here where Goodyear seems to pay for vehicle damage . . .

Jim.Allison

Your insurance agent is a good source of this information. When my towmax blew out, my insurance picked up the tab and there was no deductible.

I don't see where any of these tire warranties cover damage to the vehicle.

I've read here where Goodyear seems to pay for vehicle damage . . .

Jim.Allison

I bought a set, I love them, they got a good warrantee for a floatation tire, I got road hazard and free rotation, and since I rotate my tires per manufacturers specs, I will make sure its done by them. They are great tires. And they have a good price on them. My dealer matched Tire Rack on the price and gave me an additional $50 for charging them on a Firestone card, along with 6 months no interest. What is not to like?

beck-mark

My .02 personally I would never buy a firestone\Bridgestone product. they came from the factory on my 2001 f250 and with about 18000 mi on them I experienced a blowout on the left front tire while on interstate 20 in Alabama, thank god I was not towing anything at the time. my truck immediately pulled hard left I could not hold it back. I tapped off the cruise and was headed straight toward the beginning of a guard rail approaching an overpass. I eased off my pull on the steering wheel in order to miss the guardrail as I left the pavement. I went through to median and up into the oncoming lanes of traffic before coming to a stop. the red clay mud in the median was almost like hitting a patch of ice it felt like I picked up speed. it was the only time in my life I thought I was going to die I can remember saying "this is the end" as I entered the oncoming traffic. the blowout was a tire in the lawsuit at the time. it did about 10000 dollars in damage to my vehicle. When the adjuster came he found another tire starting to separate. I shipped both tires to them at their request and cost and firestone told me they would only replace the tire that blew out with the same tire. My insurance covered the repairs minus deductible. when I got it out of shop I drove it to tire dealer and had Michelins put on it and swore I would never own another firestone. I have bought cars since that on the lot had firestone on them and told dealers the deal we make is only good if they remove firestones and replace with Michelin or good year.

JohnD

I'm now 11 days shy of having my truck for one year and it (and the Firestone Transforce HT tires) has 21,200 miles.

While the tires are wearing good and I like them, they do appear to be about halfway through the tread life.

I doubt if I'll get 40,000 miles out of them before I have to change them out.

I like them, but I'll probably go with a little more aggressive tread design on my next set of tires!

porthole

Retired
I'm now 11 days shy of having my truck for one year and it (and the Firestone Transforce HT tires) has 21,200 miles.

While the tires are wearing good and I like them, they do appear to be about halfway through the tread life.

I like them, but I'll probably go with a little more aggressive tread design on my next set of tires!

Mine appear to be about the same. A little disappointing for the cost.

wmb1949

My 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 came with Generals, got 30K on them, was preparing for a long pulling trip and put new Firestone HT on and had good luck with them but again only got 30K on them before they needed replacing. This summer I put Michilen on and they have performed great for 10K trip west and back this year, they are warrented for 50K if rotated by an authorized dealer, they have been rotated once, so we'll see. I did upsize the Michilens to LT245/75R17 and had to add a spacer to have enough room between the duals.

JohnD

While the tires are wearing good and I like them, they do appear to be more than halfway through the tread life.

I'm almost to 28,000 miles on my truck (and the Firestone Transforce HT's that came on it from the Chevy factory) 15 months after purchase . . .

They still have some tread, but I doubt they'll last much longer.

They seem to be good tires, but they suck in the snow and ice, so will probably be getting new tires next spring!

I wish these Firestone's were the same size as the trailer wheels as I would not have a problem using them as trailer tires.