Looking for help/info on generator install on a Landmark

sknoch

Hello all,

As the title states, looking for some help/info on a generator install. We have a 2016 Landmark Charleston with gen prep. I have purchased an Onan 5500.

We have the prep, so riser, box, Onan controller and a transfer switch are all in place. What I am trying to figure out is where to tap into the LP line and what to use from the tap to the generator itself as well as where to run the new line. I have talked with service and parts at Heartland and have made no real progress. It is almost as if I am the first person to ever do this install.

I am also curious how to run the electrical lines from the generator to the junction box. The wires exit out of the generator from a watertight fitting. Do we need to run conduit for the wires? I would assume so, but looking for what type of conduit to use.

If anyone can give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. We are leaving for a two week trip in about 5 days and I am hoping to have the install wrapped up prior to leaving.

Thanks,
Sahwn

jbeletti

I think if someone can take a picture of the tie point for the propane and post it here - that will be helpful for you. Usually, these are Teed at the off-door-side frame below the baggage door area. The line run to the gen seems to be some sort of flexible line. Almost cloth-like on the outside.

In the generator cabinet area, there will be a 2 gang metal electrical box with a blank plate on it. This is the gen AC output feed to the ATS. This is where you will connect the generator AC output too. Unsure as to what the Onan spec for this wire or conduit is. Likely a piece of 1/2" Seal-tight with stranded conductors run in it.

On edit: Just read this on page 21 of the installation manual (link): High pressure hose from pump to generator supplied by RV builder.

I suggest you take another run with Heartland Customer Service and specifically ask for the ordering part number for the "High pressure Propane Hose" for the generator hookup.

sknoch

Jim,

Thanks for this. I have looked for a t fitting or line anywhere near the generator and have had no luck. To be honest I was surprised that they did not install at least a t fitting with a plug at the start of the gas run for the generator.

If anyone has pics, I would truly appreciate them.

Shawn

jbeletti

Jim,

Thanks for this. I have looked for a t fitting or line anywhere near the generator and have had no luck. To be honest I was surprised that they did not install at least a t fitting with a plug at the start of the gas run for the generator.

If anyone has pics, I would truly appreciate them.

Shawn

Shawn - yeah, unsure why we don't do the T with a plug. But that should be standard black pipe stuff. Once you obtain the flexible fuel hose with fittings on both ends, you can take that down to Lowes etc. to get the T.

BTW - I've sent a note into HL to a parts person I know to see if we can get some info for you.

danemayer

Ours just tees off the iron pipe that runs along the frame, a few inches to the rear of the point where the flexible hose from the dual regulator is attached. You could probably insert a tee where the regulator hose attaches to the pipe. I don't think there's anything special involved.

The propane feed to the genny comes after the regulator and is low pressure (11 WC Inches). But the high pressure hose is probably a code requirement since it travels under a living area.

jdamude

Hello all,

As the title states, looking for some help/info on a generator install. We have a 2016 Landmark Charleston with gen prep. I have purchased an Onan 5500.

We have the prep, so riser, box, Onan controller and a transfer switch are all in place. What I am trying to figure out is where to tap into the LP line and what to use from the tap to the generator itself as well as where to run the new line. I have talked with service and parts at Heartland and have made no real progress. It is almost as if I am the first person to ever do this install.

I am also curious how to run the electrical lines from the generator to the junction box. The wires exit out of the generator from a watertight fitting. Do we need to run conduit for the wires? I would assume so, but looking for what type of conduit to use.

If anyone can give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it. We are leaving for a two week trip in about 5 days and I am hoping to have the install wrapped up prior to leaving.

Thanks,
Sahwn

We are in the process of doing the same. Do you know if it is nessesary to duct the air intakes from the rise to the floor cut outs?

sknoch

We are in the process of doing the same. Do you know if it is nessesary to duct the air intakes from the rise to the floor cut outs?

I believe the genset sits on the riser to keep it protected from road hazards, I don't see any reason to duct it up to the generator. I'll report back after Friday as I have given up on installing myself and am taking it to a Cummins/Onan service center to let them finish. I am out of time to do it myself as we are headed out of town for the holidays and I can't seem to get anyone, including Heartland to give me the info needed to complete the install.

I am am a bit disappointed in Heartland in regards to this matter. I've had multiple conversations with a service advisor as well as the parts department and no one seems to have a clue. It's like I am the first person to ever want to install a generator in a unit with gen prep. You would think they would have a parts kit to finish the install or at least a list of what's needed.

danemayer

I believe the genset sits on the riser to keep it protected from road hazards, I don't see any reason to duct it up to the generator. I'll report back after Friday as I have given up on installing myself and am taking it to a Cummins/Onan service center to let them finish. I am out of time to do it myself as we are headed out of town for the holidays and I can't seem to get anyone, including Heartland to give me the info needed to complete the install.

I am am a bit disappointed in Heartland in regards to this matter. I've had multiple conversations with a service advisor as well as the parts department and no one seems to have a clue. It's like I am the first person to ever want to install a generator in a unit with gen prep. You would think they would have a parts kit to finish the install or at least a list of what's needed.

Obviously Heartland's approach is to either install the generator at the factory (if the RV is ordered that way) or to let you arrange with your dealer or with Onan to install it locally.

One of the problems with supporting self-install is that you'll be working with propane, high-current electric and ventilation/exhaust issues. Heartland can't possibly know whether your skill level matches the skill level required to safely do this install.

For those who are comfortable working on these issues, Onan has an installation manual, probably intended for dealers, which might be helpful to you.

HornedToad

I remember in the installation manual there was a test to run after the install to make sure the cut outs for the cooling air had at least several degrees of separation between the intake and exhaust and the cooling air flow was not cycling.

I found a grey flexible electrical conduit at Home Depot that already had the connections to tie into the knockout of the electrical box.

The hardest part is getting the generator into the box, I had to unscrew the door side of the box and pull it back to slide in the generator off the tailgate of a pickup.

Have fun on your trip!!!