New Big Horn owner with a few questions

37driver

Hi all, We're downsizing from a motorhome and just purchased a new Big Horn 3890SS that will be delivered next week. The camper is going to be set up in a RV resort on the NC Outer Banks, sort of semi permanent. We lease the lot on an annual basis but aren't completely sure if we'll be staying there long term. It has six point auto leveling but I'm not familiar with it. My questions are regarding setting it up on the site. The site is sandy and my 40000 lb motorhome sank 8" into the ground requiring 2 x 12's under the tires. I've had gravel put down where the fifth wheel's tires will be sitting. Do I need to put down a barrier under the tires, such as a rubber mat or wood blocks? I assume that I will need something under the leveling jacks. Do I need to chock the tires or use something like the BAL between the tire chocks? Answers to these questions and any other tips you might have will be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Hi 37driver,

Congratulations on the new BigHorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

While your Bighorn weighs a lot less than the motorhome did, tires sinking 8" is quite a lot. You might want to have boards handy for tires and jacks.

X-chocks between the wheels will help reduce movement - although you probably won't have much except perhaps during a washing machine spin cycle.

We have a number of owner-written user guides covering quite a few subjects with lots of tips, techniques, and answers to questions you haven't thought of yet. You get get there by clicking on TOOLS at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides from the list. Or click this link.

WBG

WBGavin
If you want to really stabilize the rig so that it does not "rock & roll" when you are sitting down and someone else is walking around, you can do no better than to install a Steadyfast system www.steadyfast.com (866-498-8754). The system consists of three stabilizing bars that you can install or have the job done by someone else. When the rig is leveled, you tighten the bars, and when you are ready to move, you simply untighten then BEFORE the the leveling system has been retracted. I have tried the Bal Chocks between the wheels and these did a much superior job.
Hope that helps

george637

Unless we are on a cement slab, we always use wooden blocks under the leveling jacks. We had different sizes cut from lumbar at our local hardware store. We carry them in the back of the pickup in a milk carton crate. If the site is uneven, we put additional blocks under the low points. The rig is more stable if the levelers do not have to extend all the way. It's great to push a button and see the leveling system work its magic. Just be sure your pickup is out of the way because the front end tends to go really low at the beginning of the leveling cycle. The other great thing is that the system remembers how high to raise the fifth wheel when hooking back up. It aligns perfectly with the hitch. I checked out the leveling with a level the first few times I used it--it is spot on. It's a beautiful thing!
George & Linda
Along with Patches (Wire-haired fox terrier) & Licorice (Goldendoodle)
Bighorn & Silverado.jpg
VisitedStatesMap copy.jpg

BobTheBuilder

I carry 4 standard RV scissor jacks if I am setting up for a long time. They make a huge difference in keeping out the shudders though the washer/dryer still gives you a free massage.

NYSUPstater

We never had a 6pt level up until this coach. LOVE it. Back or pull into site, chock wheels (I put a small 2x4 and regular rubber chock between 2 tires same side so it won't roll back or forward), put some boards under front legs, lower, unhook, pull out and hit auto-level. 1:15 seconds later, she's all done !!!! I cut a 2x10 into 16" lengths and screwed 2 together for a total of 8. Also have 2-6x6x24" that we put under lowest or most gap between pads and ground. My reasoning to which already has been pointed out) is to limit the amount of leg extended and to get a larger footprint. Is it really necessary? Guess that's debatable, but it works.

Enjoy your new coach. Few hiccups w/ ours, but very happy thus far. Can't beat the room in BR.

jnbhobe

Porthole,Cookie, and I have JT Strongarms on ours. We just welded a 2 inch section of the electric jack extension to the foot. All we have to do is tighten them up when the Level-Up is done.

37driver

Thanks to all of you for your replies and advice. Took delivery of the new Big Horn this morning. Now I'm trying to figure out how everything works. Had to spend a little time figuring out the leveling system. The auto level was not even close to level so I had to figure out how to reset it. I'm really pleased with it but surprised at some of the quality control, or lack of. My TV tilts downward at a pretty steep angle. I found that the wall mount's top screws we're about 9/16" from being fully seated.

Redrider007

Congrats on the new rig-I was also surprised at some of the poor quality control-I had my refrigerator replaced twice in the first year (Norcold) I bought the 5 year warranty and of course it has worked great ever since-I also notice screws that were put in as quick as possible at almost 45 degree angles-If they would just slow down production a bit and focus on what they are doing it would be nice. I also pulled my bottom panel off the rig to see if I could tell why my slides make so much noise (metal to metal) and all the wiring and hoses are just laying on top of it-How much effort would it have taken to put wiring in some plastic flexible conduit and zip tie it in place???

All in all we do love the rig so far-I towed form California to Tennessee last year and all went well EXCEPT I had to cut a turn short leaving a KOA and the right side went into a ditch which I didn't notice until the rebound-I ended up ripping the nuts of the shocks on the right side from hyper-extension-Didn't notice much of a difference in the ride.

I have since added solar,propane generator and a 2000 watt inverter so we are good to go. My only other complaint is we seem to really go through water-My old trailer held less but seemed to last longer-With the overflows on the tanks I think we lose a lot traveling. Next trip I will put some rubber caps on the overflow until I get where I am going.

Now I need a new truck to tow comfortably!! **** whats another $70,000?? You only live once!! Sending my kids to college and paying for weddings I could have bought 3 new trucks by now-Yah the kids are cute and all but nobody warned me about having smart ones!!!!!

Be safe out there!!!

NYSUPstater

Red--

Only live once? Go all out and get the 2018 F450 Platinum for $100,000.00 !! Thought I read the headline wrong 2 weeks ago, but ends up being true. In 1986, I ordered thru my Dad's workplace, a GMC Sierra Classic K2500 reg cab, 4sp, 6.2L diesel, 8' box, 2 tone paint for $13,000.00. In '90, ordered a GMC SLE K2500 ext cab, 8' box, 454 for $24,000.00. For the life of me, cannot figure out how mfr's justify the more than doubling of prices on vehicles. Guess that's why I'm just a dumb truck driver.