New brake controller. Which?

Mattman

So I haven't been to happy with how my Hayes controller has been working. Thinking about trying a different one. Leaning towards the prodigy 3. Looks all electronic with no pendulum? I think that's part of the problem with my hayes in my excursion. Alignment issues. Does the prodigy elimante that? Do I need the 3 or does the 2 work just as well?

Thoughts?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had, still have somewhere around here, a Prodigy brake controller. It worked great with both electric drum brakes and electric/hydraulic disk brakes.
So any Prodigy model should work well.
What is the problem with the Hayes?

Peace
Dave

Mattman

Last trip I had to manual use my brake controller. It was not assisting me much. I tried to adjust the angel some helped a little. But never felt confident that if I had to stop fast it was going to happen.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The Prodigy 3 is a good choice. They are normally plug and play. Had it in 2 trucks before I bought our current truck which has a built in controller.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things I suggest that you check before replacing your Hayes controller.
Take a look at the brake shoes to observe if there is any grease contamination, make sure the brakes are properly adjusted and follow the manufactures instructions for proper burnish break in procedure.

Peace
Dave