New furniture...through a window?

StrongJava

Let me start by saying my display of messages is weird so I gave up searching for the answer. If this is repeat, I apologize.

DW and I have ordered a new couch and recliner for our Bighorn. The recliner will go through the door; the couch not so much.

Here is what I'm thinking (possibly at rally: hint hint). I know enough that if I take out all the screws from the back window on the inside, and have eight people on the outside (if they each have a beer or soda in one hand, we've still got four "pairs of hands" to catch the window, right?), we should be able to safely remove the window.

Then, swap the couches.

I have heard that to put window back in I simply need butyl tape to put around the edge, then push the window back in place, followed by holding it (with the one free hand) while I run back inside and screw the frame back in place.

Has anyone does this?

Am I missing anything?

Tim

BusManRG

Can't wait to hear the replies to this :). Our sofa is so uncomfortable I've put it at about number 4 on the list of upgrades to the truck/5th wheel. I had the chance to try out a few at the rally we just attended and I can't believe how bad ours is compared to other (stock) sofas.

Sandy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Let me start by saying my display of messages is weird so I gave up searching for the answer. If this is repeat, I apologize.

DW and I have ordered a new couch and recliner for our Bighorn. The recliner will go through the door; the couch not so much.

Here is what I'm thinking (possibly at rally: hint hint). I know enough that if I take out all the screws from the back window on the inside, and have eight people on the outside (if they each have a beer or soda in one hand, we've still got four "pairs of hands" to catch the window, right?), we should be able to safely remove the window.

Then, swap the couches.

I have heard that to put window back in I simply need butyl tape to put around the edge, then push the window back in place, followed by holding it (with the one free hand) while I run back inside and screw the frame back in place.

Has anyone does this?

Am I missing anything?

Tim

Tim, are you sure you can't disassemble the sofas to go through the door?

We took apart one from our current rig. Took it out in 3 pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Tim,

Have you measured the new sofa from the bottom rear to the end of one arm? Generally, the sofas will go into the coach angled like that. Take legs off if they're removable.

My sense is you ordered a traditional residential sofa. If this is going in your rear cap, you may want to confirm if your slide will come in with the sofa back there. If this is going in your side slide-out, you may want to confirm that the front feet will be fully on the slide-out floor and if not - is that's an issue.

In terms of the back window coming out - yes, i think you're on the right track. Remove the valance and roller shade, remove all the screws from the interior frame, pry out from outside. You may need to remove the ladder but if you have enough hands out there, you can likely slip the window to the off-door-side once loose from the coach. Butyl tape is likely for going back in on your 2008 BH unless you have the frameless windows - which I don't think you do.

RoadJunkie

At a rally...all you would have to do is stand and stare at your back widow, holding a tape measure--maybe a clipboard--and you will surely have more help then you ever imagined. If you have beer or Fireball then some of the helpers might even be rally attendees! :)

StrongJava

At a rally...all you would have to do is stand and stare at your back widow, holding a tape measure--maybe a clipboard--and you will surely have more help then you ever imagined. If you have beer or Fireball then some of the helpers might even be rally attendees! :)

That is what I'm counting on! Kind of like with the tow vehicle. Just open the hood and you'll see bunches of people peering through windows.

Tim,

Have you measured the new sofa from the bottom rear to the end of one arm? Generally, the sofas will go into the coach angled like that. Take legs off if they're removable.

My sense is you ordered a traditional residential sofa. If this is going in your rear cap, you may want to confirm if your slide will come in with the sofa back there. If this is going in your side slide-out, you may want to confirm that the front feet will be fully on the slide-out floor and if not - is that's an issue.

In terms of the back window coming out - yes, i think you're on the right track. Remove the valance and roller shade, remove all the screws from the interior frame, pry out from outside. You may need to remove the ladder but if you have enough hands out there, you can likely slip the window to the off-door-side once loose from the coach. Butyl tape is likely for going back in on your 2008 BH unless you have the frameless windows - which I don't think you do.

The new sofa will fit in our slide-out. It is a full (69") and I just remeasured the height of the 28" wide door; it is 70". Now I'm thinking it might fit! Earlier the model couch we were considering was too long to come in on end.

In any case, I wanted to be prepared to remove the window if necessary. Thanks for the responses, and we'll keep you posted. It might happen before rally.

TravelTiger

Just curious, how will you get the new couch to the rally to have this help?

StrongJava

Just curious, how will you get the new couch to the rally to have this help?

We went the route of La-Z-Boy furniture, and there is a store in Mishawaka, IN, not far from Goshen. The store manager was great to work with, and since we had tested the furniture choices before-hand in another store we were near, he was willing to do that sale. Non-traditional to have people buy furniture and say we'll come pick it up to put in our RV.

I may rent a trailer to go pick it up if I can't get the bed of my truck empty enough. One problem at a time :)

TravelTiger

We went the route of La-Z-Boy furniture, and there is a store in Mishawaka, IN, not far from Goshen. The store manager was great to work with, and since we had tested the furniture choices before-hand in another store we were near, he was willing to do that sale. Non-traditional to have people buy furniture and say we'll come pick it up to put in our RV.

I may rent a trailer to go pick it up if I can't get the bed of my truck empty enough. One problem at a time :)

Ok, wow! Pretty cool they let you do that. Can't go wrong with La-z-boy. Surely there is a way to take it apart though. Have you inquired at the store if it can possibly be picked up in pieces and reassembled inside?

carl.swoyer

We bought residential leather and was able to remove the back of the recliners. They fit inside the door. The quality is much better than the cheap quality Rv furniture.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Ok, wow! Pretty cool they let you do that. Can't go wrong with La-z-boy. Surely there is a way to take it apart though. Have you inquired at the store if it can possibly be picked up in pieces and reassembled inside?
I think it's the sofa that he's worried about. Unsure that a residential sofa actually comes apart.

TravelTiger

I think it's the sofa that he's worried about. Unsure that a residential sofa actually comes apart.

Yes I understand. Still thinking there may be a way to remove an arm or something. Wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

StrongJava

Yes I understand. Still thinking there may be a way to remove an arm or something. Wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

I agree it won't hurt to try.

We already had removed one recliner and so I'm confident that won't be a problem.

I'm looking forward to busting up the existing couch! :)

mlpeloquin

I agree it won't hurt to try.

We already had removed one recliner and so I'm confident that won't be a problem.

I'm looking forward to busting up the existing couch! :)

If you could borrow an empty pickup on a Saturday or Sunday, put the sofa in it, cover it with something you don't want, strap it down very loose, and park it at a malls edge parking spot. One that has heavy traffic and a mall that is not in a so good area. Go and see a movie, shop, and have lunch/dinner enjoy the day. It most likely will be gone when you leave for home. You won't have to work so hard, dispose of the pieces, and somebody else can sit on that crappy sofa!

StrongJava

If you could borrow an empty pickup on a Saturday or Sunday, put the sofa in it, cover it with something you don't want, strap it down very loose, and park it at a malls edge parking spot. One that has heavy traffic and a mall that is not in a so good area. Go and see a movie, shop, and have lunch/dinner enjoy the day. It most likely will be gone when you leave for home. You won't have to work so hard, dispose of the pieces, and somebody else can sit on that crappy sofa!

True that. One nice thing about having a house when one wants to get rid of such things, the curb become magical!

I have a B&W Companion hitch that comes out easy enough. But I also have a low-profile tool box that sits at the tailgate end of the bed. This limits the usable space.

We're also in the process of getting a new truck. If all the timing worked, I may only have the toolbox loose fitted, and can remove it for furniture duty.