New GOPower Extreme Solar system

cmccort1

Hello, my wife and I are new to the RV world and are having a heck of time with a couple of issues. One is getting the new GoPower system we installed to work. I had to take it back to the dealer a second time this week after the ic3000 inverter malfunctioned again this weekend cutting our trip short. First they tried to tell me that the Onan 4000 generator was the issue because of “dirty electric” so I went and bought a new Onan 4500 to hook to shore power. Then they tried to tell me that my LifePO4 batteries with a BMS system were the problem and that I needed to buy their much more expensive batteries. I was able to get spec sheets from the battery manufacturer which was contrary to their claims. This trip we lost the ability to recharge the batteries with either shore power of the onboard generator, then the inverter would not allow us to run off of shore powere or the onboard generator, but we had enough battery to just run off the inverter which continued to work. But eventually the inverter stop making 110 to power the trailer so we cut the trip short and took it back to the dealer who installed the system. Now they are thinking it my be my 2nd transfer switch (which I new nothing about, since I was told everything would go through the ne inverter and be automatic) may be bad? This does not make sense either due to the progression of failures ultimately including the inverter to stop inverting power to the 110 outlets.

My question is if anyone else has the GoPower system and what have your experiences been?

Thank you!

david-steph2018

When the batteries get low, the inverter cuts out. Depending on the model of the inverter, there could be a transfer switch in it.
The inverter should have a "pass thru" feature which allows shore/generator to pass thru the inverter. When on shore or generator power, the inverter would not need to supply power to the 110VAC breaker box.

taskswap

I think you need more data that you collect yourself, instead of guessing or trusting other peoples' guesses. Go buy a digital voltmeter - even the cheapest models from Amazon or Harbor Freight will do. When you have your system working, measure the DC voltage at your battery and take another at the inverter input (black/red cables) just for good measure. They should be VERY close to each other - within 0.1V unless they are very far apart.

Then, next time you have an issue, measure them again, and report your findings back here.

Bogie

First. You don't say weather your RV was purchased new, or used. If used, we can't be sure what a previous owner did. At this point, I am going to assume you purchased new.

If a generator was installed by Heartland, they would have installed a transfer switch to switch power between shore power and the generator seamlessly.

In that situation, in the most likely scenario, the dealer installer would have reconnected the output of the Heartland provided transfer switch to the input of the IC3000. And the output of the IC3000 to your load panel. That way whenever the IC3000 sees voltage from either shore power or the generator, it should pass that power through to the output side of the IC3000. When the IC300 doesn't see that voltage, it should transfer inverter power to the RV via the IC3000's internal transfer switch.

While we can't be sure what the dealer installers did, based on your description, it sound like either the original transfer switch from Heartland, or the IC3000 itself could be the problem.

First check the AC circuit breakers of the IC3000. You can the location by looking at page 14 of the manual below. If they arn't tripped, go the the next step.

If you are comfortable measuring voltage, you should get a voltmeter as taskswap suggests. Then when either on shore power, or on generator, you can measure if there is voltage present at the input terminals of the IC3000. No voltage. The transfer switch is the problem. If voltage is there, the IC3000 is the problem. To do this however will require removing the AC access cover of the IC3000. Again, only do this if you are comfortable working in high voltage environments.

I have attached the user manual for the IC3000. It shows many scenarios for installation, both 30 and 50 amp. It may be help you know your way around the unit and figure out where to measure for input voltage.

Hope that helps.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/catsy.549/MANUAL_GP-IC-Series.pdf