New Heartland 5th Wheel Owner - Oakmont

Hello Folks,

Just purchased an Oakmont and am learning the tricks and tips to use my new RV. I had had a Thor Hurricane for about 5 years but have always wanted a 5th wheel. I didn't have a truck at the time and did not want to spend the money for one. Well, the station wagon finally started to nickel and dime us and we traded in for a 2016 F250 gasser. It has the correct gear ratio to pull the rig according to the Ford Towing guide. It also has lots of goodies regarding towing. So my interest is in learning as much as possible about how to tow, park, and maintain my RV. Because this is the last one. I will not be a full timer, but will use the RV for two or three week trips spread out over the year. Anything that folks can do help me be better Heartland Owner would be appreciated.

I do have a question. How well built are these RVs? I found my old Hurricane was at the low end of the Class A line. And it was built in the transition from Four Winds to Thor. So I think there were some quality issues. The Oakmont I just bought is definitely better quality than my old Hurricane. But I am sure there are some owners that might have some gripes which could be helpful to me so I can avoid trouble.

Thanks for letting me in the forum and hope to hear from some of you soon.

Happy Camping!
Old Airman 2000

jimtoo

Hi oldairman2000,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Welcome to the Heartland family. Attending a rally is a great place to get answers to a lot of your questions. We have a Silverado, which was the model name before they changed it to Oakmont. We love ours and have only had a few minor issues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome to the Heartland family!

And yes . . . join the HOC . . . you'll have a blast!

Which Oakmont do you have?

Oh yeah . . . photos . . . we love photos around here!

It is a big one. The Oakmont 392RD. It is probably a little bigger than I anticipated but I am sure the F250 can pull it. But I am at the edge of the envelope. Picture attached. I used to have a class A but this will be much trickier to maneuver around. Guess I will have to learn. We plan on signing up for the owner's club.

Oakmont.jpg

Here is my rig. It is going to take some practice for me to learn to back it up properly. I just called the tree removal folks in town to have them chop down a cherry tree that is preventing me from maneuvering properly to park the beast. We had a challenge getting it into the driveway. I suppose I will get the hang of it. But have to admit, I love the thing. Nice inside and there is sooooo much room. Better than my old class A.

Oakmont.jpg

Kurt and Annette and of course Sally
Sally-Close.JPG

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
It is a big one. The Oakmont 392RD. It is probably a little bigger than I anticipated but I am sure the F250 can pull it. But I am at the edge of the envelope. Picture attached. I used to have a class A but this will be much trickier to maneuver around. Guess I will have to learn. We plan on signing up for the owner's club.

View attachment 44275

Nice. Maybe we'll see you at the TN rally in September...

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Congratulations on your new rig. We really love ours. A word of caution, I bet that new toy is over what the pick up you have can tow unless you have the lower rear end gears. There is a current thread on the forums with backing tips that may help you. Safe travels.

I will check it out. Thanks for the heads up. The truck is a new 2016 F250 gasser with the 4.30 axle ratio. According to the towing guide on the Ford site the truck has a 22200 GCWR. My experience with trucks and airplanes tells me their advertised numbers are conservative and the engines and transmissions can take a little more. I am on the edge of the towing envelope, though. So I will watch the gauges carefully as we do our shakedown.

MP_CS

Congratulations on the new 5er, I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it. I've only been backing mine for one season and the biggest tip i could tell you is to take you're time and dont pay any attention to the looky loos. I was very intimidated the first time i pulled into the campground to back into our spot, i was to worried about all the other "experts" looking and watching. One thing you'll find out is most of them if not all of them are no better at it than you will be. I've seen more than a few damaged trucks/ trailers out there and stopped worring about what the onlookers are thinking, I've actually been complimented on my backing before by someone who's had a 5er for 20+ years. Just take your time and have fun....

NH5er

Congrats on the new rig. We have an Oakmont 325RE for almost a year now. So far it has been great. One word of caution. It is TALL!! 13'4". As long as you keep that in mind you should be fine. About the only real complaint we had (and it is minor) is that the entry could use another step. When the rig is leveled using the level up, it does sit a little high. I'm just waking mine up now from the long winter nap. All seems fine so far. Good luck with yours.
Jim

Pirana

Welcome....I also just upraded to an Oakmont...very satisfied...like most say, a couple of minor problems we hope to get repaired soon. This is also my first 5th wheel coming from a 35ft TT. Its a little tricky compared to the TT as rotation only happens when moving. But like everyone says no worries and practice is our best friend!

Jv75353

Congratulations on your new Oakmont and welcome to the Heartland family. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here, it's a great place to get any questions answered you might have. Enjoy you new rig an Safe Travels.