New Member in Maryland interested in BH 3070 RL

We'll be retired in the next two years and we want to enjoy a fifth wheel. I have a 2011 Ford Super Duty F-350 Diesel, Crew Cab, long bed, 4x4. Payload for my specific truck is 3015 pounds, towing capacity 15,300. I believe my truck will be within the 20% margin of towing capacity and pin weight for the payload.

I'm looking at a couple of other brands, but my DW and I are impressed with the quality of the Heartland products. We have some friends that own Big Horns.

There are pros and cons with every brand, but a couple of questions:

• Have the shock absorbers made a big difference in the trailer's handling and reducing wear and tear? The other brand we're looking at does not have shocks, but it has the advantage of weighing 2,000 pounds less.
  • Because of the island in the 3070, can you access the refrigerator without sliding out the side?
  • Any other suggestions or thoughts about what you like about Big Horn and what to look for as far as quality of the exterior walls, etc., will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Dave and Sue in Maryland

jimtoo

Hi David and Sue,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure your truck will handle the Bighorn with no problems. The shocks are mounted at a pretty good angle, so that does cut the amount of travel down, do they help? Thats a matter of opinion, I think they do help a little. I have not been in a 3070 so I cannot say for sure if fridge can be opened,, but looking a the floor plan, I don't think it could be opened without moving slide a little,, maybe not all the way out.

The one main thing about Heartland units, is customer service. Heartland RVs is the best. They do monitor parts of the forum and take suggestions from our experiences using the RV's. And if, or when you call the factory,,, you will talk to a person.

Enjoy the forum and join our family.

Jim M

Steadfast

We have a 2011 3670RL with a 4 door fridge. We can access the fridge with the slides in, without too much difficulty. The lower right hand door is limited by the kitchen counter, but opens enough to get things in and out.
I can't really tell if the shocks really make a difference, but I can tell you that the trailer tows well. Good luck!

Westwind

Hi we have 2012 Bighorn 3070RL and spent 3 months in Florida this past winter, we stay in 3 different campgrounds and I can say it tows extremely well, I went from a 26TT to a FW so it was a change for me. As far as the Island and refrigerator, we found one we liked on the lot and it had the island, you cannot open the refer with the slide in but you can open just one slide (using the outside control which regulates each slide) to get to the refer. After using the island in the kitchen for 3 months I'm so glad we ended up with it. We have so much counter space and we are not big cooks but it's so handy. The amount of space the 3070RL has is perfect for us we are very pleased
with it.
You can PM me with any questions you might have.