New or used?? And anyone familiar with the BH3185??

BusManRG

My wife and I have been dreaming of purchasing a new BH3160 this fall. A big stumbling block has been that we currently own (and owe on) a Class C. This weekend we saw a used BH 3185. Not quite the unit of our dreams, but comes close. Big issue is that it doesn't have an auto leveling system and only one A/C unit. It looks like we could do something with our trade, something they seem hesitant to do when we talk about purchasing a new model. Not sure why I'm hesitating. Anyone upgrade your front hydraulic lift and power rear jacks to full auto leveling? How did it go and was it costly? I know I can get an a/c unit, but was told the additional unit could not have a thermostat, just a fan switch. Anyone add a second a/c that wasn't prewired??? The dealer we're talking with sells used units only. Everything on his lot appears super clean. I guess what makes me nervous is that I feel like I know everything about the 3160 and nothing really about the build specs of the 3185. All comments appreciated!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Adding the hydraulic leveling system will be in the neighborhood of five grand.
For the AC unit there may be wires for the thermostat already in the wall.
I suggest calling Heartland Customer Service and ask if does have the thermostat cable and where that cable would be located.
You could also remove the fan shroud in the bedroom and look for that cable, you still need to know its location in the wall.
You didn't mention the year of the 3185.

Peace
Dave

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Just some food for thought.......

Check roof condition

Check all areas for caulk. Is it cracking. Is it gone.

Check tires. If Tow Max not good. How old are tires on rig.

Remember buying used......someone might of had a problem with it. Or maybe not

Gary521

I added a second AC to my former unit. I had to string a thermostat wire not easy but it is doable. An option would be to surface mount a thermostat wire in a wiremold.

BusManRG

So I guess I should add that it's a 2012 BH 3185. It would be great if I could find an archive of older brochures and get more info on the construction and included features. Anyone know what type of roof? Rubber?

danemayer

There's a chance that the bedroom A/C position already has wiring for power and for a thermostat that would be located on a wall, perhaps near the bedroom light switch.

That said, we typically use our bedroom A/C unit only when the whole coach needs to be cooled down. At those times, we run it at maximum output with the thermostat set very low. Once the coach is at the desired temp, we shut it off. We never use it while sleeping. So for us, the thermostat on the wall in the bedroom really doesn't add much over a simple switch on the unit.

On leveling, there are less expensive options available - electric for example - that may not provide fully automatic leveling, but are almost as easy.