New Tow Vehicle

Gaffer

:cool: Just bought a new Dodge Laramie it's loaded with most available options. Delmonico Red. For all you late model Ram guys, my question is what would be a good initial setting for the trailer brake gain? Drum brakes on the Bighorn and loaded weight of 14.4k.

Gary521

I believe that there is a procedure for setting the gain. The setting will be affected by trailer weight and brake type ( disk or drum ).

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
15k trailer. Electric Drum. Gain 6.5 - 7. Set on Heavy Electic in the truck computer system.

Go-Fly

When you are towing, you can add or subtract gain by hitting the plus or minus keys by the manual trailer brake handle. Find what you like and save the settings for that trailer. Start high and work down. Never the other way. Enjoy your new truck.

jerryjay11

Not sure why you all need to set your brake control to 7 because I use 3.5 on my truck, though I am towing lighter. I learned to set my brake controller by running down the road around 25 mph then actuate the brake control. If wheels lock up on trailer, reduce setting on control until the TT brakes slow you without locking up. If you google setting trailer brake control this is what it would give you this procedure. The last thing you want to do is lock your trailer brakes. Adjust up or down depending on that lock up.

farside291

I have never locked the wheels on my BC by actuating the lever, even on gravel. I did lock them during an emergency stop and had the BC slide to the right and truck to the left. I set mine at maximum.

mlpeloquin

As jerryjay11 said is the correct procedure to properly set your break controller. By the way, you need to do this again in wet weather. You need two settings to make sure that the trailer will not lock up with wet pavement. Going down a steep grade and have them lock up is not what you want to risk wet or dry. So set them up properly.

PondSkum

my brakes have never locked up being set at 7. my RW weighs in at almost 14k without most of our stuff and the toy loaded in it.