new vinyl plank to replace carpet, now a slide clearance issue

One of my first modifications was to tear out the carpet and vinyl and to replace it with vinyl plank self stick 6 x 36 planks. I primed the bare subfloor first, then cut the Lowe's Style Selections Cherry Finish vinyl planks to fit the various nooks and crannies. The finished product looks great, matches the cabinetry perfectly and is very easy to keep clean. So, here's the problem. Even though the vinyl planks are very thin (2 mm), the largest slideout is rubbing the floor when moving the slide in or out. So, are there rollers inside the trailer framework to support the slide as I moves in and out, or is all of the support located outside the frame? The clearance definitely varies from one side to the other. I suspect a "cheap" flooring product may be part of my problem, however I know others have replaced their carpet with no apparent issues. I'm hoping there is an easy fix to my issue. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Warren_Karen,

It may just be that the slide needs to be adjusted a bit. We've got some of the Lippert Manuals that include illustrations with instructions on how to adjust. If you do this yourself, I'd suggest making very small incremental changes. Keep track of where you started so you know how to get back in case you make things worse.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There's a Lippert product called a "Slide-out Slicker", that is meant to keep the rollers from damaging flooring. After Heartland said our slides were adjusted properly, they suggested the slickers. We have them for our kitchen slide and they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I recommend the Slide Slickers highly especially in this application. We use them and have no marks or issues with them. I feel the carpet thickness should be the same as the laminate but the carpet fibers hide the marks.

JanAndBill

There's a Lippert product called a "Slide-out Slicker", that is meant to keep the rollers from damaging flooring. After Heartland said our slides were adjusted properly, they suggested the slickers. We have them for our kitchen slide and they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony,
I'm thinking of making some of my own, using thin acrylic and non skid shelf liner. Out of curiosity what the dimensions of yours (thickness, length, width)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rather than acrylic, which can be brittle, what about using one of those thin, white cutting board sheets? They're about 1/16" thick, flexible and resist sharp knives. Measure the width of the rollers and the travel distance of the slide and cut it a bit larger. Then stick the non-skid backing on it.

Hoosier Wolverine

I bought one of those clear plastic mats used under office chairs to prevent floor/carpet damage. I used an electric sabre saw to cut it to sizes somewhat wider than the marks left by the rollers on my carpetting. The advantage to this mat is the small nipples formed into it to prevent sliding.

John

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony,
I'm thinking of making some of my own, using thin acrylic and non skid shelf liner. Out of curiosity what the dimensions of yours (thickness, length, width)

It's Erika, but that's OK!

Ours was already cut to the right length, and is 34" long, 5" wide, and 1/8" thick, with two strips of 1/8" thick foam along the length. (This is for use on the vinyl flooring, not carpet.)

IMG_7574.jpg IMG_7571.jpg IMG_7573.jpg

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I bought one of those clear plastic mats used under office chairs to prevent floor/carpet damage. I used an electric sabre saw to cut it to sizes somewhat wider than the marks left by the rollers on my carpetting. The advantage to this mat is the small nipples formed into it to prevent sliding.

John

I don't recommend using the mat with the pimples on it for they will pierce the floor or make marks. The Slide slickers have a foam backing to pad and eliminate any marks and are pre-cut and ready to use.

Jim