Newby campground question

JSchneib

We just purchased our first RV, a 2015 Trail Runner. We pick it up this weekend and are ready to try it out. It seems our first obstacle is finding an open campground where we can make reservations. We are in Northern Colorado. We would like to try it out somewhere close to home and there are a lot of places to go that are within a half hour, but they are all full. So clearly we need to plan a little further ahead. Looking for advice on planning trips and what to expect when trying to reserve a spot. Any other related thoughts are appreciated!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Welcome to the Heartland family!

We had a 2013 Trail Runner, but recently traded it in (in Loveland) for a 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel.

Unfortunately, weekends are tough, but not impossible, to get a spot.

We got a last minute spot for the July 4th. weekend at the Wellington KOA.

The campground was great . . . but in the rainy season (which is was that weekend) the huge cattle ranch just down the road wasn't so nice.

Try there . . . you might just get in.

Also, try Jack's Gulch up Poudre Canyon, which is about 8 miles up Pingree Park Road, although you'll probably have to go up there early on Thursday to get a spot.

Jack's Gulch is one of our favorite places to go, although they only have electric and no other hookups . . . but a great place to go!

I've also heard that Jackson Lake State Park over by Greeley is a possible place to get in at short notice.

We've never been there, but plan to soon!

By the way . . . join the Heartland Owner's Club (HOC)!

It is free for the first year, so nothing to loose!

We are having a Rally up in Central City at the KOA in September . . . it will be a blast!

Here is a link to the post about the rally:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Rally-CO-Central-City-9-24-2015-to-9-27-2015

avvidclif

I always make my first trip to "Campground Driveway". Stay in the trailer and use everything. Stay out of the house, just like you were not home but at a campground. You will have to find a dump station after that but you will find out what hasn't been packed, what works and what doesn't, and if major problems show up you can abort without leaving the trailer stranded somewhere.

Your neighbors may think you're nuts but it's fun and different.

JSchneib

Welcome to the Heartland family!

We had a 2013 Trail Runner, but recently traded it in (in Loveland) for a 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel.

Unfortunately, weekends are tough, but not impossible, to get a spot.

We got a last minute spot for the July 4th. weekend at the Wellington KOA.

The campground was great . . . but in the rainy season (which is was that weekend) the huge cattle ranch just down the road wasn't so nice.

Try there . . . you might just get in.

Also, try Jack's Gulch up Poudre Canyon, which is about 8 miles up Pingree Park Road, although you'll probably have to go up there early on Thursday to get a spot.

Jack's Gulch is one of our favorite places to go, although they only have electric and no other hookups . . . but a great place to go!

I've also heard that Jackson Lake State Park over by Greeley is a possible place to get in at short notice.

We've never been there, but plan to soon!

By the way . . . join the Heartland Owner's Club (HOC)!

It is free for the first year, so nothing to loose!

We are having a Rally up in Central City at the KOA in September . . . it will be a blast!

Here is a link to the post about the rally:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Rally-CO-Central-City-9-24-2015-to-9-27-2015
Thanks for the tips and I will look into joining!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

JSchneib

I always make my first trip to "Campground Driveway". Stay in the trailer and use everything. Stay out of the house, just like you were not home but at a campground. You will have to find a dump station after that but you will find out what hasn't been packed, what works and what doesn't, and if major problems show up you can abort without leaving the trailer stranded somewhere.

We may just do the driveway thing. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

buddyboy

Camp Driveway never requires reservations! What a great place - enjoy yourselves because there's only one first campout.

TxCowboy

I totally agree with these comments! Test drive the unit and yourselves by spending a long weekend parked at the house. :)

Ladiver

"Campground Driveway" is the best place to start. It is even better if you have a little fire pit and have a campfire and smores. The neighbors know we are crazy. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Problem with 'Campground Driveway' is that you probably don't have hookups to try all of the trailer's systems.

We found a nearby campground to try ours out.

That being said, we use our trailer all the time in our yard . . . we call it 'Pretend Camping'!

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family!

We use RV park reviews as our starting point and work from there.

Of course, you should take advantage of the complimentary membership in the Heartland Owners Club and look for rallies and events here on the forum.

Enjoy your new Trail Runner.

donr827

Campgrounds will get cancellations so you might try calling back everyday. Might get lucky. ....Don