North Trail plugged into the house, turned the AC on and shuts off after 5 minutes then I hear a beeping.

cspiron

So I plugged my North Trail FX235 with 30amp into a 20amp plugged in my garage. Guess the extension cord I used wasn't big enough because after about five minutes, AC shut down and the extension cord was very hot. I notice the air first. But as I was freaking out about what to do after I realized the air was off, I heard a beeping inside the trailer. Don't know how many beeps or where it was coming from inside because I was making a B-Line to unplug. No breakers were flipped in the trailer or garage. I don't think a fuse was blown.

Now I'm nervous I may have ruined something. Anyone else made a rookie mistake like this?

cs

danemayer

Hi cspiron,

If you plug a long, undersized extension cord into a 20 amp outlet, the heat in the extension cord indicates a drop in voltage - some of the power being converted to heat. When you operate motors, or compressors, on low voltage, it is possible that they could be damaged. But I'd guess 5 minutes wouldn't be enough. It's possible the A/C control board shut down the unit to protect it.

Now if the outlet you plugged into is actually a 30 amp outlet, like for a dryer, you may have a whole different problem. Those are 240V and plugging into one of those can fry a bunch of stuff in the trailer.

Domi

Welcome to the Forums

I agree with Dan and do not think things burned up. You might have heard the microwave beep as the power dropped out. When I run on generastors I heard the microwave beep as the AC kicks on as it pull the generators down.

I would suggest powering up again with out the AC and test everything. I would not recommend running the AC again until you can get to a 30 amp circiut. No reason to chance blowing it up.

Hope you like your North Trail. We have been loving ours.

John

pegmikef

For any distance, your extension must be at least 12 gauge or a larger gauge. Also, what else is on the circuit that the garage outlet is on? Anything else on the circuit will reduce the amperage available for your North Trail. The A/C ran just fine in my North Trail, but the 20 amp circuit was a dedicated circuit and the extension was a 25 foot 12 gauge one.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Your best bet is to not run the AC off of that extension cord.

I've run the vent fan on the AC a few times while plugged in at the house, but never the AC.

gajeep

20amp is not big enough to run a 30 amp circuit.

Run a 30 amp circuit, and a 50 amp cord for an extension and you should be fine. If they rad a 20 dedicated circuit for the plug, they ran 12 or 10 wire, both will carry 30 amps fine. Romex and THHN are both overrated. So make sure first that it isn't 14 wire, then slap a 30amp breaker on the wire. Then oversize your extension cord.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

danemayer

20amp is not big enough to run a 30 amp circuit.

Run a 30 amp circuit, and a 50 amp cord for an extension and you should be fine. If they rad a 20 dedicated circuit for the plug, they ran 12 or 10 wire, both will carry 30 amps fine. Romex and THHN are both overrated. So make sure first that it isn't 14 wire, then slap a 30amp breaker on the wire. Then oversize your extension cord.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If you want to increase the amperage on the receptacle at your house, get a licensed electrician and make sure he understands you want a 30 amp 120V RV receptacle, not a dryer receptacle. Don't make guesses about the wiring gauge in the house, or type of wire, and don't make guesses about how long the run is. If you make a mistake, you could have a fire in your home.