BKcyclone

So been a while, camper has been amazing. Multi point question. How do you remove the the under cover, that is part of the winter package. I have a small hole in it in the center ( i did not put there) where hydraulic oil is leaking. it has leaked quite a bit of oil over the winter. I see no way to remove this black under cover. i need to do this to access the hydraulics of the main slide, where I believe the oil leak is coming from. I Have a 43 ft cyclone, so this is the fridge and front door on the passanger and a couch on the drivers side. that is what I am calling the main slide. What kind of hydraulic oil does it use.

Access to the cylinders is key, maybe its from the inside of the camper. Thanks for reading

Roller4tan

Many people state that trying to remove the bolts from the coroplast covering causes the bolt heads to break off. I would follow the cylinder shaft to the approximate end and cut a three sided flap opening to the rear of the trailer large enough to look in and do some work if needed. After repairs use gorilla tape to secure the flap. Some use Caterpillar hydraulic oil, but any hydraulic oil will work. IMO

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Many people state that trying to remove the bolts from the coroplast covering causes the bolt heads to break off. I would follow the cylinder shaft to the approximate end and cut a three sided flap opening to the rear of the trailer large enough to look in and do some work if needed. After repairs use gorilla tape to secure the flap. Some use Caterpillar hydraulic oil, but any hydraulic oil will work. IMO
I replaced all my fluid after front jack repair with synthetic ATF

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So been a while, camper has been amazing. Multi point question. How do you remove the the under cover, that is part of the winter package. I have a small hole in it in the center ( i did not put there) where hydraulic oil is leaking. it has leaked quite a bit of oil over the winter. I see no way to remove this black under cover. i need to do this to access the hydraulics of the main slide, where I believe the oil leak is coming from. I Have a 43 ft cyclone, so this is the fridge and front door on the passanger and a couch on the drivers side. that is what I am calling the main slide. What kind of hydraulic oil does it use.

Access to the cylinders is key, maybe its from the inside of the camper. Thanks for reading
You didn’t provide year of your CY. Our ‘17 Bighorn’s coroplast is attached with hex head self driver screws. I’ve removed them often using my small battery powered impact driver. If yours is attached by the same and try to use a wrench or ratchet you will surely just snap them off
Newer units, I HAVE HEARD, now use some type of driven steel nail. If that’s the case, good luck
Either way you can always go with the flap & tape
If the oil leak is from the cylinder seal itself and not just a loose fitting, the cylinder once removed can be rebuilt with a new seal kit by any reputable hydraulics repair shop. Might take a few weeks. Last cylinder I had in for repairs took 2 weeks
I’d remove ALL fluid BTW and replace with synthetic ATF

david-steph2018

Per Lippert manual:
Fluid Recommendation
The LCI Level-Up Automatic Leveling system is pre-filled, primed and ready to operate direct from the manufacturer. Type “A” Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is utilized. Lippert Components, Inc. recommends ATF with Dexron III® or Mercon 5® or a blend of both. In colder temperatures, less than 10 °F, the leveling jacks and landing gear may extend and retract slowly due to the fluid’s molecular nature. For cold weather operation, fluid specifically formulated for low temperatures may be desirable. For a list of approved fluid specifications, see TI-188. Or go to https://www.lci1.com/towable-br-level-up/support-towable-level-up-br-touch-pad/ , click on the Technical Information Sheets tab, then select TI - 188:

BKcyclone

Well great info, it is a 2021, sorry. My first thought was exactly to cut a whole and gorilla tape it back. I was hoping for a better idea. But great to know I'm not alone in that thought. I am afraid of the driven steel nail. I could not find a head of any kind the other day when I was looking. I deal quite a bit with equipment and have a good hydraulic shop I use. THANKS!!

david-steph2018

Well great info, it is a 2021, sorry. My first thought was exactly to cut a whole and gorilla tape it back. I was hoping for a better idea. But great to know I'm not alone in that thought. I am afraid of the driven steel nail. I could not find a head of any kind the other day when I was looking. I deal quite a bit with equipment and have a good hydraulic shop I use. THANKS!!
If you take the rig to a shop for underbelly work, the shop will probably do the same and cut a hole. There is a cover you can get to install that has zippers on 3 sides, in case you need back in there. I can't remember the name, hope somebody on here can post it.

BKcyclone

If you take the rig to a shop for underbelly work, the shop will probably do the same and cut a hole. There is a cover you can get to install that has zippers on 3 sides, in case you need back in there. I can't remember the name, hope somebody on here can post it.
I won't feel so bad then when I cut the thing open. y make it so hard....

BKcyclone

So I did cut the liner open right after this last post. Oil, sawdust, water pipe scraps, and what ever else mess they made when building the camper. I found three hydraulic fittings that I don't believe were ever tightened. Based on the enormous amount of oil. So I tightened them and used some heavy duty duct tape and sealed it up. Thanks for the idea of cutting it open.