Plexiglass / Lexan inserts for screen door.

Does anyone know if these are made / sold or would you have to make your own. Would like to put inserts in screen door so we will not have to close exterior door to keep cool air in. Sure would be nice to see out, keep air in, and let light in.

danemayer

One of our friends cut the curved piece of Lexan for us, sandwiching it between two thin sheets of scrap wood to prevent movement of the plastic while cutting. Use j-channel from Home Depot to hold the bottom edges.

If you're near an Interstate Plastics location, they'll sell you a 4x8 sheet for about 1/2 what you'll pay at the big box stores.

GOTTOYS

I have also seen a heavy plastic similar to what is used for boat side curtains used with either snaps or Velcro. That could be rolled up and stored easier...Don

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We have been doing this for years, using Lexan and we love it.. It is time consuming, but it sure makes a difference having the door open in the cool days and hot days..

Sumo

I also did this my self. The longest part of this job was the drive to Home Depot and buy the Lexan. It's easier than you think.

Gizzy

I had Lexan installed on our door. Went to a local glass shop and was told it could be done for $65. I asked how much if they do the cutting and it was only $10 more. So I simply removed the door from the coach and dropped it off and picked it up the next day installed and ready to go. Beautiful job that fits right into the groove and for the $10 cutting charge I did not have to worry about making any mistakes with the cutting. No pressure. I would check with local shops and see what they have to offer. It sure worked great for me.

Westwind

I've made two sets, the first was for our 02 Sunnybrook and the second for our Bighorn, the Bighorn was the easiest but that could be because of prior experience. Installing in the door was easy because of the slots that the Plexi could fit in. I leave them in the door year round but I know if we wanted to remove them we could since I left the screens in. It was my first mod to the trailer.
Trust me - if I can do this any of you can. It just takes a little patience, I used a hand held jig saw for the curved part and a Plexi cutter that you can by that is cheap. Traced everything out with a magic marker and went to town.

yport

Easiest fix was my local glass dealer ... whom I fortunately know well. Just take door off (easy) and take to someone who does this stuff all the time, and professionally.

Paul & Nan

We use mirror clips to hold ours on, had the plexi cut at Lowes. Just need to loosen the screws on the clips to turn and then remove the plexi. Works for us.