Porch light stays on

SKIP55

2013 Prowler Model 32PBHS: My porch light, at the front door, will not turn off - with the switch on or off. I tried disconnecting the switch wires and the light stays on. Any ideas?

jimtoo

Hi Skip55,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I don't have any idea myself,, except your using the wrong switch. Has this been happening since you purchased the unit or did it just start? I'm sure we will get more answers soon from other Prowler owners.

Jim M

SKIP55

Thanks Jim. We bought the unit 2 weekends ago and noticed the light was on when we got home. The light stayed on until the battery was discharged. There is also a switch by the back door which works fine. All other electrical systems seem ok. I have removed the bulb from the fixture for the time being so the battery can charge.

jimtoo

I have another question. Is this light that staying on right above the door and kinda oval shaped, or is it the large round clear lens closer to the front of the trailer? Some folks get them mixed up. Look for a scare light switch.. DS,, door side..

Heck,, try all the switches...except the electric water heater. :)

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jim M

SKIP55

It's an amber colored oval light right above the front entry door. The back entry door has the same type of light. Both lights have switches that are marked "Porch" just inside the doors but only the back one seems to work. I've tried turning all the other switches on and off with no luck - I think something must be wired wrong.

ParkIt

Do you have any AC/Heat thermostat inside on the same wall with the light outside a little ways above it? Know it sounds weird but if so, take off the thermostat housing and see how many lines are connected to it. Only thing I can think of that would allow it to run until you disconnect the battery.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you disconnected the wires at the switch and the light stays on, then something is not wired correctly.
Do you have a remote that came with your trailer? If yes, that remote should control that light.
If not, it might be time for a trip to the dealer.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It is a 12V lite. If it wont shut off, then somewhere close to the lite the 12V B+ wire and ground wire are pinched together. Have you removed the lite itself? The problem could be behind the lite assembly.

TedS

If the 12v + and ground are pinched together, you would have a short and blow a fuse. Sounds like it may be miswired and always 'on'. Or the switch is bad and always 'on'. The switch should open and close the 12v+ feed to one side of the lamp. The other side of the lamp is connected to ground. For the light to stay 'on', there must always be 12v+ always at the lamp.