Portable Electric Fence

WillyBill

Where we camp there are often cows on BLM or USFS grazing leases. Of course they like to use my trailer to scratch on and the calves have more curiosity than our cats. I'm tired of their mess around my trailer and the damage they cause. The cattleman's association has insurance but their Insurance Company is a PITA to get money out of. I'm looking for recommends on a solar or DC powered electric fence charger. Will be fencing an area about 100' x 100'. This will also serve to keep the bears away from my camp I hope.

I'm just trying to find a Charger that has proven to be reasonably durable. Those on Amazon seem questionable unless they are AC and I will be boondocking.

TIA for any referrals to a decent unit.

WB

Lynn1130

Google "Solar Fencer". That will bring up a long list of units to review.

I know that in the past it was necessary to have a fencer hooked to AC but that went away many years ago and we ran a 6 or 12 volt battery (left in the pasture near a fence post) with a solar charger above in and hooked to the battery.

WillyBill

Check your local farm and feed store for a recommendation.

I DO intend to check with Intermountain Farmers Co-op, but I trust the Forum members much much more since they are not trying to sell me anything - LOL!

Thanks,

WB

- - - Updated - - -

Google "Solar Fencer". That will bring up a long list of units to review.

I know that in the past it was necessary to have a fencer hooked to AC but that went away many years ago and we ran a 6 or 12 volt battery (left in the pasture near a fence post) with a solar charger above in and hooked to the battery.

@Lynn1130 - By chance do you remember the brand? That's the type I'm looking for but am hoping to find a unit that will last long term since I will need it off and on for at least the next 10-15 years.

Thanks,

WB

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I’m a farm boy plus I spent 30 yrs working for a large agricultural coop.
There are 6v and solar operated fence controllers for remote operation. For a temporary electrified fence around your camper I’d recommend “horse tape” electric fence (which is visible to the targeted pest and humans, unlike thin 14 ga fence wire) attached to lightweight fiberglass t-posts designed for temporary use. Another plus being fiberglass you’ll only need clips to attach the “tape”...no insulators unlike when using metal posts
I have seen first hand applications like such around bee hives and remote campsites in bear county
Any sizable farm store, such as Tractor Supply, Menards, Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WillyBill

I was kind of interested in this topic, so I did some websearch on bear repellent electric fences. I came up with this EXCELLENT webpage from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, which has a big list of vendors (not just from Alaska), and typical things needed for a good operating electric fence system.
http://adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livingwithbears.bearfences

While researching I found that the all in one solar / battery units were the sketchy ones and the best were waterproof - most on Amazon are NOT sealed at all and require a little roof or enclosure to have any hope of durability. This one(see link) is ac/dc but requires a user furnished battery/charger. I have a small harbor freight solar panel and an older car battery(12 V) that will work and the charger is lasting years, not months like most others reviewed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042L8IDO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Then I'll need a couple rolls of 1/2" polywire and some step-in posts(Hooks made on them) and a grounding kit - Total about $224 delivered. Much cheaper than I've already spent fixing things the critters messed up. Oh, and I've had a bear around archery camp for the last three years - he's getting big enough to be a problem now and I'm there for a whole month - mid Aug through Mid September.

I can post the other item's links if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

WB