Power for 3 AC's

beasleyrl

My Cyclone 4250 has 3 AC'a that were installed at the factory. Great concept, but unlike the Landmark with 3 AC's, there is no power management system other than a toggle switch that only allows you to run either the front or middle AC at 1 time (plus the rear). In looking at my breaker box, it appears the unit is also wired for 20 amps for the washer/dryer. Given the configuration of where that washer/dryer would be, I don't ever see us installing one. Would it be possible to run the 3 AC's on 50 amps if we just wired the 3rd AC into that breaker meant for the washer/dryer? I'm attaching a pic of the breaker panel for those that know more about this than me.

One follow up question. When on generator, I appear to only be able to run 1 AC at a time. Is it possible that both AC's as currently configured are running off the same 110 leg? In my prior Cyclone, I was able to run 2 AC's on the same size gen.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide!

Roger

8b53216087e6c8123ffcbe0b55d949d4.jpg

avvidclif

I did a little "creative wiring" and eliminated the funky "OR" switch. If connected to 50a service I can run all 3 (and needed it at times this summer). If running the generator I can only run 2 and only the 2 that are wired on different "legs" of the generator. That make sense?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Roger, do you have two 30amp breakers on your generator? I've heard of some that came with 1 30amp and 1 20amp that had to be changed to 2 30amp to run both AC units. From what folks said it was an easy user fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
My Cyclone 4250 has 3 AC'a that were installed at the factory. Great concept, but unlike the Landmark with 3 AC's, there is no power management system other than a toggle switch that only allows you to run either the front or middle AC at 1 time (plus the rear). In looking at my breaker box, it appears the unit is also wired for 20 amps for the washer/dryer. Given the configuration of where that washer/dryer would be, I don't ever see us installing one. Would it be possible to run the 3 AC's on 50 amps if we just wired the 3rd AC into that breaker meant for the washer/dryer? I'm attaching a pic of the breaker panel for those that know more about this than me.

One follow up question. When on generator, I appear to only be able to run 1 AC at a time. Is it possible that both AC's as currently configured are running off the same 110 leg? In my prior Cyclone, I was able to run 2 AC's on the same size gen.

Roger

Roger, 50 amp service is really 50 x 2 = 100 amp service.

I would say, go for it, no reason why it would not work. At 15 amps per AC you are under 1/2 the the potential.
Our Cyclone had both AC's wired on the same leg, along with the main 110 volt receptacle circuit (kitchen, bathroom etc)

I rewired my panel to even the loads as I thought would best suit us. For example, split the the two AC's, W/D on the 2nd AC circuit, main receptacle circuit split from the coffee pot - microwave side etc.

We can run just about everything on our genny. Although with both AC's going we will switch off the water heater when using the coffee pot, microwave or hair dryer.
Next RV will have Magnum Hybrid inverters and that should eliminate even that issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Your bedroom and garage AC's and the W/D are on the same leg. Which side of the panel is the main AC on, I don't see it?

- - - Updated - - -

Your converter is also on that same leg. Keep in mind that our 80 amp converters can draw in excess of 12 amps when in full charge mode. I will see 14 amps on mine at times

- - - Updated - - -

I would also move the fireplace to the side with two AC's, since the odds of you using two AC's and the fireplace at the same time are slim (unless you are in my house :rolleyes: )

beasleyrl

Roger, do you have two 30amp breakers on your generator? I've heard of some that came with 1 30amp and 1 20amp that had to be changed to 2 30amp to run both AC units. From what folks said it was an easy user fix.

Gus - I have the 2 30amp breakers.

- - - Updated - - -

Your bedroom and garage AC's and the W/D are on the same leg. Which side of the panel is the main AC on, I don't see it?

- The Bedroom and Main AC are on the switch to isolate 1 of them at a time. So it is technically the same as the Bedroom AC.

I would also move the fireplace to the side with two AC's, since the odds of you using two AC's and the fireplace at the same time are slim (unless you are in my house :rolleyes:

- I was thinking the same thing. It seems like a lot of current running on one leg. I just wasn't sure if this type of panel alternated between the legs or if there was some other way they handled it.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm going to be spending some time rewiring this so we don't have to deal with this next summer. Wish I had thought about it earlier this year.

porthole

Retired
Breakers are A-B, A-B, A-B etc

Are all 3 AC's 15K or do you have a 2 15's and a 13?

If a mix, start with a 15 and 13 on one leg and then go from there. How much do you use the water heater? we use it all the time.
And keep in mind the converter we have is a heavy hitter when the batteries and interior 12 volt stuff is in full operation.

Pen and paper all your loads, I'm sure you'll be able to get a balanced mix. Don't forget the main 110 receptacles, which one is the coffee pot and hair dryer on, micro etc.

And if you don't have a dedicated circuit into the garage it might be a good time to add one. Keep that circuit separate from the fireplace breaker.

I have two separate circuits in the garage. That allows me two space heaters if needed, one in the garage one in the living room. As it is, we only use one most of the time. Since my AC's both have heat strips and we primarily use the main AC, the main garage circuit is on the opposite leg.

And your genny is limited to 60 amps, 30+30, so the only way you may be able to run all 3 AC's is with everything else turned off.

Smitty325

Breakers are A-B, A-B, A-B etc

Are all 3 AC's 15K or do you have a 2 15's and a 13?

If a mix, start with a 15 and 13 on one leg and then go from there. How much do you use the water heater? we use it all the time.
And keep in mind the converter we have is a heavy hitter when the batteries and interior 12 volt stuff is in full operation.

Pen and paper all your loads, I'm sure you'll be able to get a balanced mix. Don't forget the main 110 receptacles, which one is the coffee pot and hair dryer on, micro etc.

And if you don't have a dedicated circuit into the garage it might be a good time to add one. Keep that circuit separate from the fireplace breaker.

I have two separate circuits in the garage. That allows me two space heaters if needed, one in the garage one in the living room. As it is, we only use one most of the time. Since my AC's both have heat strips and we primarily use the main AC, the main garage circuit is on the opposite leg.

And your genny is limited to 60 amps, 30+30, so the only way you may be able to run all 3 AC's is with everything else turned off.
Is there any way for a novice to troubleshoot one of the generator power legs? A while back, we overloaded the gen and the top breaker tripped. It would not reset. So I ordered a replacement, installed easily, seemed to work fine, (physically, set and reset) but I can only run one A.C. now. I suspect a burnt wire somewhere, but have no idea where to begin. I have a multimeter, but no schematics. Any ideas from the smart people are welcomed.
The trip (blown breaker) originally occurred when two ACs were going and we needed microwave popcorn. All ACs work fine on shore power. Power mgmt panel says 45amps available, but living room and garage units will not start.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

danemayer

Is there any way for a novice to troubleshoot one of the generator power legs? A while back, we overloaded the gen and the top breaker tripped. It would not reset. So I ordered a replacement, installed easily, seemed to work fine, (physically, set and reset) but I can only run one A.C. now. I suspect a burnt wire somewhere, but have no idea where to begin. I have a multimeter, but no schematics. Any ideas from the smart people are welcomed.
The trip (blown breaker) originally occurred when two ACs were going and we needed microwave popcorn. All ACs work fine on shore power. Power mgmt panel says 45amps available, but living room and garage units will not start.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
The wires from the circuit breakers typically go through a junction box near the generator where they connect to wires that go to the automatic transfer switch. If everything else, other than the A/C units, runs normally, that would argue that you're getting power from both circuit breakers on the generator. But maybe you need to check that everything else is actually working, including all outlets.

The Power Control System (PCS) display shows 45 amps available because it detects the generator is running. I don't think it's actually measuring available power. It is programmed to show 45 amps when on generator power.

If everything else is working, maybe the PCS is shedding the A/C loads because there's too much power being used. Try turning off all 120V AC circuit breakers except the mains and the A/C units to see if the A/C units will run. Note that if you turn off the Power Converter, you'll need good batteries to keep things running while testing things.

carl.swoyer

Roger

8b53216087e6c8123ffcbe0b55d949d4.jpg
Check out your thermostat. It may have the ability to control all three AC system as zone 1 2 and 3. There would be a need for a communication cord between each. On mine I can program each zone and the thermostat anticipates the start up for each.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Flooringit

I did a little "creative wiring" and eliminated the funky "OR" switch. If connected to 50a service I can run all 3 (and needed it at times this summer). If running the generator I can only run 2 and only the 2 that are wired on different "legs" of the generator. That make sense?
Id like to know more about the switch. And I’m lost about the leg comments. My breaker panel has all the breakers on one side. I’m guessing that the leg is actually 2 separate ones just looks like one cause there all on same side? I am trying to get ready for summer and want all 3 ac’s to work also. I currently have a space available I was gonna use that spot and add 2 plugs for space heaters. As I have breakers popping if I plug in the exsisting plugs. I can run a cord from washer and dryer and it’s fine but I have a cord laying around. I don’t have a washer and dryer was gonna use that breaker for the 3rd ac. I might add I don’t use the electric water heater elelment. It’s broke. But it don’t bother me cause propane doesn’t cist
me much. So I might use that also.

Id like to know more about the switch. And I’m lost about the leg comments. My breaker panel has all the breakers on one side. I’m guessing that the leg is actually 2 separate ones just looks like one cause there all on same side? I am trying to get ready for summer and want all 3 ac’s to work also. I currently have a space available I was gonna use that spot and add 2 plugs for space heaters. As I have breakers popping if I plug in the exsisting plugs. I can run a cord from washer and dryer and it’s fine but I have a cord laying around. I don’t have a washer and dryer was gonna use that breaker for the 3rd ac. I might add I don’t use the electric water heater elelment. It’s broke. But it don’t bother me cause propane doesn’t cist
me much. So I might use that also.

My road warrior has the same switch and I just posted about bypassing or running one to a pigtail and running off the extra leg on the pole. Any suggestions?

carl.swoyer

The Onan 5500 that I have was 30/20 from the factory. I removed the 20 breaker and now I'm running the Onan with two 30 amp breakers. I do keep the two ac running but 2° apart. Normal is bedroom two degrees lower at bed time and I reverse during the day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk