Procrastination = exploding tire and some RV damage

DuaneG

I had every intention of replacing my tires after reading all the problems these towmax tires have cause over the last few years. But life just got the better of me and I kept putting it off.

Like many of the others who said why change them if I monitor them properly and check pressure all the time. They still looked new with no sign of wear.

So today we were going to do a short trip for our anniversary but only made it 6 miles out of town before hearing what sounded like a bomb going off. We were only going 25 mph but were in the mountains with no where to pull over. As I made a corner I could see one of the tires was thrashed. Had to drive less than a minute to the next turn out. But like others it had sucked the 14 gauge wiring onto the axle and had wrapped around it ripping it from the connections in the slide. Along with a big pile of wire the skirt was damaged and sticking out.

Well we had Good Sam tow service and since my arm has nerve damage I called them to change the tire. This is a whole other topic but cell reception was horrible and the calls kept dropping. I gave the call taker our exact location based on hwy ID and mile marker, but he tried to use their GPS tools to find our location. I told them what the closest town with services was but it took them 40 min to even get a tow started. After that there was a road closure due to a multi car accident 8 miles up the road from us. And because of the delays the tow truck was diverted to the accident.

Shorting this part of the story so it ended up taking 4.5 hours to get the tire changed and by then all tire shops were closed and there is no way I was going to attempt the trip after all of that so we returned home.

After a hectic beginning we have been trouble free for a couple years and got a little complacent. So unfortunately we were do for some drama.

I didn't want to muddy up old threads or bring up sore spots for others so I started a new one. So beside those wanting to say "told you so". I agree you did and I am only to blame for procrastinating.

So now I am conflicted because another driver was sent to the hospital up the road when someone went into their lane and hit them head on. I saw their trailer up on a flat bed and their vehicle was totaled. So with that fresh in my mind I am grateful we didn't go off the cliff or cause someone else to crash.

So at this point I am convinced these tires should have been recalled as I am meticulous on checking them and properly inflating them. We had very limited supplies and know we were not over weighted. I even crawled under the trailer to see the back side of all the tires before we left and no signs of anything looking bad.

Some have mentioned reporting to DOT or something like that but wasn't sure the actual link or if anyone has ever done that. I would love to get my repairs covered and new tires but won't hold my breath on that right now. But wanted to know what the outcome was for anyone else who got investigators involved so these issues can be catalogued properly and not swept under the rug for some pro rated tire money.

Also tried to find the links for wiring diagrams and couldn't locate it. No repair shops near us so will try to repair it myself if I can find the diagram for the slide. It's the slide next to the door and I am guessing it was to the lights and electrical outlets for the slide and maybe the electric brakes but have to do more checking tomorrow as all I have is a pile of wire. Some 14/2 and 14/3 AWG wire.

Bones

I'm sorry to hear about your tires issues and glad everyone is A ok. I just pulled mine off this season because I was afraid they might go any time.

danemayer

Here's the online form for reporting tire failures. Clicking on TIRES near the top reveals the info you need. Scroll down to the form. Make sure you provide the DOT #. And in the description field, you can let them know whether the damaged tire is available for inspection.

If the tire is inspected by NHTSA to find the cause of failure, and it's determined to be a manufacturing defect, they can take action to help everyone who still have the tires installed.

wdk450

Duane:
Sorry for your big time problems with the wiring due to the tire blowout. I would call Heartland Service pleading your cause, maybe even taking it up to the service department manager, to see if they would make a one-time exception to their "no drawings released" rule so that your can get your wiring repaired.

Probably some analysis of the wires looking for individual 12 volt DC wires and Romex-type 110 VAC cable as a start would be a good idea. If the trailer is unattended I might disconnect the 12 volt battery to prevent possible fires, although the fuses should be protecting you.

On my rig there is a 110vac breaker marked "slideout" which I have observed to turn off the power in the kitchen, desk and dining room slides. There is a separate breaker for the fireplace which is in the desk slideout. I have 1 shared 12 volt DC circuit feeding the kitchen slide for the refrigerator and stove lights/fan. The refrigerator will not work at all without 12 volts DC applied to run its main logic board.

Good luck!!!

mlpeloquin

You might be able to get an engineer at Heartland to describe the wiring color(s) and gage along with what they are connected to based on your model and vin number. They do not provide wiring schematics.

DuaneG

You might be able to get an engineer at Heartland to describe the wiring color(s) and gage along with what they are connected to based on your model and vin number. They do not provide wiring schematics.

I will call Monday.

064a5e2b90ecd1cefa3821c875ebe33c.jpg

15d940fc111a13ddca3bc137cbaff807.jpg

1e39f7e394ad3d373aa549e0c70f3fa9.jpg

It looks like the 2 wire multi color came out of the Frame and was just exposed wire. That seems to be the 12 volt lights to the slide. The 3 wire should have come out of the junction box and into the slide for the power. I can't see any other holes where wires used to be so most likely when it got wrapped around the axle it ripped them completely out of the slide. If that's the case it looks like I can fix the power outlet easy but would have to figure out how to fish new wire to the switch and light with no access panel in the slide.

Abear79

Call dynamic tire at 1-905-595-5558 or kim uric at 314-813-5626 to start a claim. They might help you out. Keep your blown tire they will want it.

As another HOC brother would say....... Don't ask me how I Know

DuaneG

Call dynamic tire at 1-905-595-5558 or kim uric at 314-813-5626 to start a claim. They might help you out. Keep your blown tire they will want it.

As another HOC brother would say....... Don't ask me how I Know

Thanks but saving in case DOT wants the tire. Not going to give it back for some prorated rebate. But will give it to investigators who can work on getting a recall going.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks but saving in case DOT wants the tire. Not going to give it back for some prorated rebate. But will give it to investigators who can work on getting a recall going.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macjj

Duane. I too failed to "take head", my precautions did not get me more than 4000 miles. I did save the tires, shipped them back to Dynamic Tire, and got a whopping $150 for all the effort. NHTB was not interested in RV issues at that time. I too had wiring ripped out, but got little on specifics on reconstruction - hand to de-engineer it myself. That was a hard lesson, but post like yours at least provides reference for all new members. Great post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have a blowout with our BlowMax tires, but replaced them when we upgraded the axles on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner.

We traded in the Trail Runner one week after we had the work done, and our new trailer (2015 Heartland Prowler) had Blowmax tires on it . . .

One year and two weeks ago today as a matter of fact!

I had the dealership swap out the tires.

However, I will say this!

The BlowMax issue seems to be with bigger and heavier trailers (ie.- 5th-wheelers), and not so much with bumper pull trailers.

We never had any issues with the Blowmax tires on our Trail Runner, but had to upgrade the wheels and tires when we upgraded the axles after it was discovered that the axles were underated for the trailer (ie.- not enough for the trailer weight).

Basically, the trailer was bottoming out on the tires while driving down the road . . . unfortunately for us we were 1000 miles from home when this problem announced it's presence!

Anywayz . . .

We bought our new Prowler one week after we did the upgrade on the axles of our Trail Runner, so I had the BlowMax tires that came on the Prowler swapped out and put the new tires we bought on the Prowler.

They are Hi-Run tires . . . and we've put more miles on them than we did in the 2 1/2 years we had the Trail Runner with the BlowMax tires.

One year and two weeks later (and 4000 miles plus). . . the Hi-Run tires have been flawless!

Abear79

I made a claim with NHTSA also, They didn't sound like they wanted the tires. But HL and company know something is not right. The HL rep. rattled off the dynamic tire number quick.

RNMAJ

I had one of the rear Towmaxx tires blow out last week while going thru St. Louis, the tread separated completely from the side walls and there was a hole in the tread carcass right in the middle that looked like a 50 cal. round had gone through it. Happened on I-70 West on the out skirts of West St. Louis and by the time the guy sent by Good Sam showed all the tire stores were closed and it was a Saturday, so we ended staying in an RV park for an extra day. Drove the rest of the way home expecting another blow out and will get the other 3 tires swapped out. The blow out did some minor damage to the sheet metal skirt which I fixed myself, unfortunately I did not keep the blown tire or the 2 side walls, figured I wouldn't be able to get anything for the rest of the china bombs on my fiver.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had one of the rear Towmaxx tires blow out last week while going thru St. Louis, the tread separated completely from the side walls and there was a hole in the tread carcass right in the middle that looked like a 50 cal. round had gone through it. Happened on I-70 West on the out skirts of West St. Louis and by the time the guy sent by Good Sam showed all the tire stores were closed and it was a Saturday, so we ended staying in an RV park for an extra day. Drove the rest of the way home expecting another blow out and will get the other 3 tires swapped out. The blow out did some minor damage to the sheet metal skirt which I fixed myself, unfortunately I did not keep the blown tire or the 2 side walls, figured I wouldn't be able to get anything for the rest of the china bombs on my fiver.

Don't forget to replace your spare tire as well.

BlowMax's can't be trusted to be a spare, either.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't forget to replace your spare tire as well.

BlowMax's can't be trusted to be a spare, either.

Yep, step back to 2011, on our not yet 1 year old ElkRidge, 2/3 of the way to our destination on a fuel stop I notice a tire with uneaven tread wear on one TowMax tire. Since we are newbies, we call roadside assistance, and they swap the spare to the ground for us, and we are back on the road. 5 months later, I'm under the rig checking out our new axles we just upgraded... And notice a bulge on one of the tire tread. Immediately, we decide to get 5 new Maxxis tires.

That bulging tire looked like a hex nut when removed, and guess which one it was? The former spare!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk