Propane gas detector

My propane gas detector needed replaced. I forgot to take a pre-remove the old detector picture. Now I don't know which RV wire (1 white & 1 white with black stripe) to to the new detector wires (1 red & 1 black). Can anyone help?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My propane gas detector needed replaced. I forgot to take a pre-remove the old detector picture. Now I don't know which RV wire (1 white & 1 white with black stripe) to to the new detector wires (1 red & 1 black). Can anyone help?
Red attaches to white with black stripe. Picture of old one before I replaced it

Lyle

1725706582514.jpeg

wdk450

I have kind of thought that these detectors, mounted in the locations the RV manufacturers select, are pretty much useless. A couple of weeks ago I got a good example. My detector is mounted on my rear trailer inside wall, my inside propane gas source (my oven stovetop) is mounted about 15 feet forward on a drivers side kitchen/refrigerator slidoeout which is semi-enclosed by a medium sized L shaped kitchen sink island.
A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the rangetop controls and oven door before a short shopping trip with my daughter. When i came bck to the trailer , after a while i decided to cook something on the stovetop. I went to light the burner with my electric sparker device, and got a small (18 inch diameter) explosive ignition of the gas. I got eyebrows ,and maybe a little hair singed, but no other injuries. It seems that my cleaning rag TURNED ON the rangetop knobs wthout me not knowing it 3 hours before. I DID NOT DETECT ANY MERCAPTIN (GAS ODOR MARKER) SMELL, EVEN WHEN I WAS VERY NEAR TO THE RANGETOP. THE PROPANE XETECTOR ON THE REAR WALL NEVER WENT OFF.
Early in my ownership of this RV (during the warranty period) my wife and I detected a sewer gas smell in the kitchen area,. The dealer sent out their own RV service guy (who forgot to bring his gas guages with him) who guessed it was sewer gas smell. I finally bought a gas pressure guage usually used for home propane BBQ gas tank level monitoring, did a gas leakdown test on the system, and detected that i had a propane leak in the piping. It took a quality RV servicer at their repair facility about 90 minutes with a sophisticated electronic gas leak detector to find a crcaked right angle fitting in the propane lines. BTW , this last story is another example of the dangerous risks of the lack of comprehensive systems quality control after a unit rolls off the production line. BTW, the propane gas detector DID NOT alarm for this propane leak either, where the Mercaptan smell was plainly evident.