Pulling a boat behind my travel trailer

I have a 2017 Mallard m231 and am wanting to pull my boat behind it. My boat is an 18' Express aluminum bass boat with a 90hp Yamaha with an aluminum single axle trailer with about 100 lbs tongue weight. There is not much weight on the boat and trailer. The rules in Texas says I have to stay under 65 ft, I'm at 63' I have installed a receiver hitch on the bumper of the trailer that is rated to 350 lbs tongue weight. Can't find anything on paper that says what the bumper is rated at. My question is, does anyone pull a boat and is it safe without modification to the bumper.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Howdy Knucklebuster and welcome to this awesome forum.
I don't think I would pull anything with a hitch attached to the bumper of a camper.
The Mallard is speced by Camping World so all bets are off as far as the capacity of the bumper.
If you are wanting to tow a boat or anything else I would suggest having a custom receiver hitch made that would be attached to the frame of your camper.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I don't tow behind my trailer, but knowing how the trailers are built I would not use the bumper for anything other then storing the sewer hose.

If it was mine I would have a receiver assembly fabricated that is welded to the trailer frame.

Thanks cookie, need all the help I can get. Been traveling on a Harley Davidson for a long time. Just started using a travel trailer a month ago. Kinda nice not traveling in the rain. haha Thanks again

I don't tow behind my trailer, but knowing how the trailers are built I would not use the bumper for anything other then storing the sewer hose.

If it was mine I would have a receiver assembly fabricated that is welded to the trailer frame.

Thanks for the advice.

hoefler

Also check your state's laws on double towing. Most state do not allow double towing on a single ball, must be a fifth wheel to double tow.

Also check your state's laws on double towing. Most state do not allow double towing on a single ball, must be a fifth wheel to double tow.

Texas allows double pull with a maximum of 65 feet total, on one ball. Thanks for the thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Like your quote about trouble. I always tell everyone: Second row over, third seat back is reserved for me in the doghouse. haha