Rear receiver hitch install question

sengli

I guess in the long run it depends on what you are going to try and hang on that receiver. Our 3260EL came with the lippert 1.25 class 2 receiver on it from the factory, and we had nothing but trouble with the hitch being a bolt on type similar to the one your looking at. It started shaking terribly and flexing going down the road. We lost our bikes three times, and the bike rack broke... from the road bounce issue. At that time our bikes were just regular bikes, not e-bikes. So they only weighed like total of 50lbs or so. I even tried to re-enforce the hitch with some welded support, still shook itself to bad to use or trust.

If I was you, I would not even consider anything that wasnt welded on the frame. Those frame ears back there arent all that robust anyway.

I have ebikes and an ebike rv rated bike rack. Looking at 150 pounds.
Friend has the same bighorn and bolted the rack to the brackets the 1.25 receiver bolts to. Has about 200 pounds and it has been fine for 4 years and 15k or more miles.
I ordered the hitch and would like to mount it on the frame per the instructions.
What I would like to know, if any one is familiar with, is what is behind all underbelly I that part of the trailer.
This is a pic of the area I would like to know what is behind the underbelly.
NOTE: THIS IS NOT MY CAMPER, same model and year, I have no hitch...yet
Thanks

Attachments

• rearhitch~2.png
    rearhitch~2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rhodies1

I added a hitch to my bighorn. First I bolted with grade 8 bolts a piece of 4 inch channel 2/4 inch wall thick to the bottom of my frame. Installed the channel 1/2 inch from electric legs. I then designed a hitch to mount the brackets. I built it out of 2/4 boards to get the exact specs. Once I was happy with my design I took my prototype to a weld shop and had hitch made. I made the complete hitch with 4 inch channel with 1/4 inch wall. I have 2 e-bikes and the hitch does flex at all. I had 2 inch tone installed for hitch . My unit is away in storage so I can’t get any pics of the ins. Sorry

rhodies1

I added a hitch to my bighorn. First I bolted with grade 8 bolts a piece of 4 inch channel 2/4 inch wall thick to the bottom of my frame. Installed the channel 1/2 inch from electric legs. I then designed a hitch to mount the brackets. I built it out of 2/4 boards to get the exact specs. Once I was happy with my design I took my prototype to a weld shop and had hitch made. I made the complete hitch with 4 inch channel with 1/4 inch wall. I have 2 e-bikes and the hitch does flex at all. I had 2 inch tone installed for hitch . My unit is away in storage so I can’t get any pics of the ins. Sorry
I had a 2 inch receiver built in my receiver. E bike carrier is 2 inch

I purchased one, but it is not plug and play!! BUT if you are a good welder or know one all the components are there to make a very good and strong hitch mine works great! I haul our Ebikes that weigh 80lbs each with no problems!

tempImageFSGimq.pngtempImageM8C5wL.pngtempImagezd2E51.pngSorry they are not the greatest photos but I have a bad back and was thought to crawl under. Hope this helps a little! Turlock Bill