Residential Fridge - Cracks in Freezer Walls

cgaskins

Hello Fellow Heartlanders...

I have a 2015 Big Country 3650RL that we bought new back in October of 2014 - so we have had it 9 years now. We travel a fair bit and this trailer has a ton of miles on it... Anyway, I discovered today that my Frigidaire Residential Refrigerator has a two cracks in the walls of the freezer. (See photos below). It appears to work fine and my food is staying cold / frozen as appropriate. Any suggestions on a repair?

Thanks,
Chris

PXL_20231228_172820203-EDIT.jpg

PXL_20231228_172829348-EDIT.jpg

cgaskins

Lovely.... I guess the residential fridges just weren't made to handle the movement of being in an RV over the long term.

I squarely blame the horrible roads in Louisiana and Oklahoma. ;-)

-Chris

jerryjay11

I have repaired many cracks in Fridge liners in customer's homes. (Note: Most homes don't bounce around, unless there has been an earthquake 😟) They occur due to a defect in the material and unfortunately manufacturers will only cover the repair under warranty. Repairs due last as long as you do it correctly, including drilling a "Stop Crack" hole at the end of the crack.

cgaskins

I have repaired many cracks in Fridge liners in customer's homes. (Note: Most homes don't bounce around, unless there has been an earthquake 😟) They occur due to a defect in the material and unfortunately manufacturers will only cover the repair under warranty. Repairs due last as long as you do it correctly, including drilling a "Stop Crack" hole at the end of the crack.
Thank you! I appreciate the information.

-Chris

cgaskins

What did you use for the repairs?

Thanks
Chris

LBR

When I first read this 2 days ago, the first mender I thought I would give a try with was Shoe-Goo.

If you have never used this before, as the name implies it is a pliable/flexible goo for shoes/boots. I had used it for a couple decades for minor mending of my tennis shoes and boots....it sticks and holds under flexing. The longer I have used it besides footwear/clothing/raingear/etc, the more "hardscape repairs" I have used it for.

If you don't need those refrigerator repairs to be 100% aesthetically pleasing for the other half, I would try relocating the perishables, warm it up, clean cracks, and goo them. Because of it's flexibility, the rolling earthquake syndrome of these trailers should not break it loose if you prepare cracks with first cleaning of alcohol, very light sanding (to give goo a "bite"), alcohol wipe again, then goo.

Then sit down and have a different type of alcohol for yourself....it should be a great fix IMO.

EDIT....Just read that it it is advertised for -40 below zero

Last edited: