RM1350 Runs better on propane than electricity?

sdwelling

I've got a 2011 mfg Dometic RM1350 4-door fridge in a 2012 Cyclone 4014. I had the electricity off today for about 6 hours (for other problems) and noticed the temperature of the refrigerator dropped on propane (~39°F). The temp climbs a few degrees on the electricity (~45°). I'm in Upstate NY right now and temps have been lower than 80°F during the day and the fridge is mostly shaded in the woods. I'm due for a beach trip over the first week of August and fully expect temps over 90°F during the day.

Is this abnormal fridge behavior?
e58920ac73a51f1f325298406c70f27d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Personal opinion here, but I think that refrigerators that we have run better on LP.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Personal opinion here, but I think that refrigerators that we have run better on LP.

Peace
Dave

You know I noticed that my refrig was running colder on propane, where the classic RV refrigerator test tells you to apply 110 VAC directly to the heater wires and see what happens, which would imply that at least electric operation is less of an unknown variable in boiler heat. But I think I noticed that my heater (and maybe incoming 110 VAC connections) to my refrigerator logic board had heat discolored spade female terminals on the wiring. Maybe the crimp connections from the refrig manufacturers aren't up to the amount of current steadily drawn by the refrigerator heaters. I plan to replace these crimped only connections with crimped AND soldered wire connections, along with treating the spade connections with contact restorer spray. This is a first thing in the morning job before it gets up to 111 again in the afternoon.

sdwelling

I've got a 2011 mfg Dometic RM1350 4-door fridge in a 2012 Cyclone 4014. I had the electricity off today for about 6 hours (for other problems) and noticed the temperature of the refrigerator dropped on propane (~39°F). The temp climbs a few degrees on the electricity (~45°). I'm in Upstate NY right now and temps have been lower than 80°F during the day and the fridge is mostly shaded in the woods. I'm due for a beach trip over the first week of August and fully expect temps over 90°F during the day.

Is this abnormal fridge behavior?
e58920ac73a51f1f325298406c70f27d.jpg

I ordered the Dometic fan assembly kit - a 12v 120mm² x 38mm computer fan with brackets and a thermostat. Should help cooling regardless of heat source.

sdwelling

I ordered the Dometic fan assembly kit - a 12v 120mm² x 38mm computer fan with brackets and a thermostat. Should help cooling regardless of heat source.

There is NO WAY that I can install this without pulling the fridge out of the slide into the cabin 😡. In the meantime, I'll try this
d2ca20ef93fb198da2e536969a78d47d.jpg

esscobra

in my previous jayco fridge was similar and would cool better on propane v 110- ad adding fan at bottom blowing up across coils helped

sdwelling

in my previous jayco fridge was similar and would cool better on propane v 110- ad adding fan at bottom blowing up across coils helped
Trying to draw the hot air out. Thinking the fan is not the issue at this point.