Rodent/Pest Control

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I spray the frame and struts with MouseFree each spring and don't have a mouse problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcooke

Does anyone have any ideas for this? 4 of my 5 slides have openings through the frame to under the floor.. I just need to add a sign "Mouse Hotel".
5031c9530cc0df4d9292755e6635fa72.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

I cut an old inner tube into squares large enough to cover the holes. Cut a slit to the center and make a small diameter hole in the center. Slip it over the rod and use self-tapping screws to attach it to the frame.

srcooke

I cut an old inner tube into squares large enough to cover the holes. Cut a slit to the center and make a small diameter hole in the center. Slip it over the rod and use self-tapping screws to attach it to the frame.

John,
Thanks, I'll try that. My choices were that or a thin plastic cutting board. Terrible design. My Cedar Creek had the hydraulics attached to the end of the gear rail so nothing was exposed. I never thought to look at this.

JohnDar

John,
Thanks, I'll try that. My choices were that or a thin plastic cutting board. Terrible design. My Cedar Creek had the hydraulics attached to the end of the gear rail so nothing was exposed. I never thought to look at this.

Here's a photo of how I did it. Not pretty, but it seems to work. And I got the idea a few years ago from someone else on this forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 135

NYSUPstater

Another option for the hydraulics is to get a piece of trailer patch and trim to fit. It's made of metal/tin and self stick. I ask our trailer mechanic and he gets me a small section (12"x12"). Others, ask a local trucking company/Ryder/Penske/ or semi trailer repair shop.

paulh

Does anyone have any ideas for this? 4 of my 5 slides have openings through the frame to under the floor.. I just need to add a sign "Mouse Hotel".
5031c9530cc0df4d9292755e6635fa72.jpg

Here's another idea for covering those holes in your frame. I did use the plastic cutting board as mentioned earlier and made it into a sliding cover because this particular rod moved 1" up and down while the slide was being activated. I cut a 3/4" hole to fit around the rod fairly tight and then two vertical slots which are behind the washers, you can just barely see the top slot. The screws are tightened down just enough to hold the cover firmly against the frame but allow it to slide vertically with the rod. No chance of mice or hornets getting in there now.

Attachments

• Frame Hole Cover.jpg
    Frame Hole Cover.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 102

wdk450

In my current stay here in Porterville, Ca. I have had a mice problem in the kitchen slide area. Besides getting into my pata/rice/dried beans storage in the big drawer under the refrigerator, they were also coming into the kitchen area (and the rest of the living room) entering at a small gap at the ends of the kitchen slide floor. I got a piece of hard pressboard, and cut it to the top dimensions of the drawer to seal it off. I used screws into the sides of the wood going through clearance holes in the wood top to keep it in place. I use a square foam gasket stuffed in between the slide lip and the floor for heating/cooling sealing, so I just stuffed in some steel wool in the cracks where the mice were coming in on the ends of the slides. NO MORE MICE PROBLEMS.

GETnBYE

I am a firm believer that you can not ever convince a mouse not to go into your camper, but you can make it harder and them maybe....hopefully.....maybe they will give up and move on.

We try to not leave any food in out camper unless we are camping, and even then we use tupperware and lock and lock containers for everything that is not in the refrigerator.

Every new camper we get is gone over with spray foam in every opening we can find and get to. We remove false cabinet bottoms, cabinet drawers, etc. to get to what we hope is all wiring and pipe openings. I'm guessing we used 7 or 8 cans of the spray foam called "Great Stuff", found at Home Depot.

Lastly, we leave very strong sticky traps in the basement and in the coach and check them at least once per month. More in warm months. I think got one mouse in the belly of camper and all I get upstairs so far is spiders, and I would use them just for the spider removal either way.

A word of caution with the spray, have plenty of paper towels on hand and gloves. Be prepared for it to swell a good bit as it sets, so don't over do it. Just a small learning curve to it.

So far this method has worked for us. (knock on wood).

Good Luck

bwdt

Wanted to share something. A friend of mine use to own a Tiffan Motor home which use to get mice. I used foam in a can to block off all of the electrical and plumbing chases to the basement.

For the slide rods, I would use some wax paper around the rods and foam to fill the holes.

olcoon

Haven't read all the posts, but here is what I do down at the farm to keep the critters under control. I've got a 5 gallon plastic bucked that I put 1 gal. of RV antifreeze in. I drilled a hole on opposite sides of the bucket for a rod to go through, then I took a pop can and drilled a hole in each end & inserted a rod through it to span the top of the bucket. Also I put some wire on the rod on each end of the can & rod to keep then from sliding. I have a small stick running from the floor to the top of the bucket, with small nails tacked on the top end to keep it from falling off the bucket, I've got the stick placed near the rod. I'll coat the pop can with peanut butter. Mouse smells the peanut butter, finds the stick, climbs up bucket, sees the pop can with peanut butter walks across the rod to the pop can. When he gets on the pop can it'll roll dumping him into the RV antifreeze & he takes a final swim.

It's easy & cheap to make, it requires little maintenance, there is no mess. I've got a minnow net near the bucket so when I'm down there I can dip them out easily. Works for me! In an RV, you might need 2, one in the living area, & 1 in the basement. This is the 2nd year of doing this & haven't had near the mouse damage in years past. Keep them going year round, but in the summer I've got water in the bucket instead of RV anti freeze.