Route input wanted: Houston, TX to W Yellowstone, MT via Elkhart & Columbus OH

8amps

We will be leaving Houston next week headed to the factory to get our frame flex fixed. We'll be stopping in Dallas (visit family), Hot Springs (visit HOC member friends from Colorado), Memphis (visit the King and see the Sun Records building) and then an overnight somewhere. Then after the rig is done, over to Columbus for a week, and meander our way west (eventually) via Michigan up to Sault Ste Marie, west thru Wisconsin, Minnesota, North or South Dakota to Montana.

We have been to Rapid City, Mt Rushmore & Crazy Horse so won't go that way. Was considering Wind Caves NP (S Dakota) or Theodore Roosevelt NP in N Dakota. But I am open to suggestions, tips, favorites, etc. in any or all locations along this very long route! We'll have a month or so for the whole journey (not long enough!)

Thanks!
Mary

mlpeloquin

On our first trip across the country we came back via I80 to Cabela's RV Park in Sidney, NE. From there it was to Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills which you do not want to do. We then went to A. B. Camping RV Park in Cheyenne, WY. Not a bad place but good if you want to stay for a couple of days to see Cheyenne or over night. On to West Yellowstone, WY, and stayed at the Yellowstone Park KOA. Great park location to tour the park from and go into West Yellowstone to shop and eat. It is just a couple of miles to the west of Yellowstone. From there we were suppose to go north to Galasher Bay National Park, but over night eight to ten feet of snow fell and shut the park down for a couple of days. It was early June. So we went south through Utah, Grand Staircase National Monument, Bryce Canyon, Ceader Bleaks National Monument, and Zion National Park. We have yet to get back to see Galasher Bay National Park. So if you have never seen these parks, they are well worth seeing. There are others the we want to go back to see as well. Do you like Buffalo? This was just a small herd. We were going back to our rig in West Yellowstone when we ran into the biggest traffic jam caused by an even bigger herd going down the road very slowly. It took two and a half hours to get past them. So the rout you take is dependent on what you want to see and the time frame you have. All roads were good, but if the pass says not recommended for RV's and trucks, believe the signs. All the parks listed should be on your bucket list.

Buffalo.jpg

8amps

Well our only firm plans are Columbus and West Yellowstone. The rest is just going in that general direction with interesting things to see along the way. I've always heard Upper Peninsula of Michigan is beautiful, and would like to go west to Wisconsin (looks like 75N to Hwy 2) then to Minnesota, and most likely North Dakota and on westward to Montana on I-94. Definitely won't come so far south as Cheyenne or Utah, but have been to both and loved.! :) Last year, we went from Colorado to Devils Tower (Wyoming) and onto West Yellowstone via Billings so we'd like to go another route to see something different (though I could go back to Little Bighorn again). That's about the totality of our plans thus far so am actively trying to figure out a few more details. Bring on the ideas fellow HOCs. :)

Kbvols

Well our only firm plans are Columbus and West Yellowstone. The rest is just going in that general direction with interesting things to see along the way. I've always heard Upper Peninsula of Michigan is beautiful, and would like to go west to Wisconsin (looks like 75N to Hwy 2) then to Minnesota, and most likely North Dakota and on westward to Montana on I-94. Definitely won't come so far south as Cheyenne or Utah, but have been to both and loved.! :) Last year, we went from Colorado to Devils Tower (Wyoming) and onto West Yellowstone via Billings so we'd like to go another route to see something different (though I could go back to Little Bighorn again). That's about the totality of our plans thus far so am actively trying to figure out a few more details. Bring on the ideas fellow HOCs. :)

If you head up to Michigan from Columbus I would recommend stopping a day or two at Frankenmuth. It is a small German themed town with some good food and music as well as Bronner's Christmas shop. You can take 23 out of Toledo and avoid Detroit. 23 reconnects with 75 above Flint, MI. After Frankenmuth head north on 75 to Mackinaw City. Mackinaw city is a great place to stay a few days. Have to take the boat over to Mackinac Island. Fun place lots of history as well as restaurants. There are no motor vehicles on the island. From Mackinaw city can cross the bridge to the UP. Enjoy your trip safe travels and keep us posted on your journey.

GWRam

West coast of Michigan north of grand rapids off of Highway 31 is Mears. Silver Lake State Park. The Dunes separate Lake Michigan from silver lake. You can ride,drive or walk the Dunes. We did a tour. Learned about the history and that the Dunes are moving. Cool light house also.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Being from Michigan originally, the UP was our usual summer camping grounds!

You are going to love the Mackinac Bridge (makes the Golden Gate look like a foot bridge) . . .

In Sault Ste Marie, check out (and take the boat ride) the locks and the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum, and then as you head west along the shore of Lake Superior, check out the Pictured Rocks in Munising, the Tequomenon Falls (the upper ones), Marquette, Copper Harbor (the most northernest point of the lower 48 states and an awesome place to camp for a few days) . . . you could spend a whole month up there and still not see it all!

And lighthouses . . . lots of them!

PicturedRocks.jpg

TequomenonFalls.jpg

CopperHarbor.jpg

BigMac-1.jpg

Miss you guys . . . come home soon to see us!

MTPockets

You are going to love the Mackinac Bridge (makes the Golden Gate look like a foot bridge) . . .

In Sault Ste Marie, check out (and take the boat ride) the locks and the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum, and then as you head west along the shore of Lake Superior, check out the Pictured Rocks in Munising, the Tequomenon Falls (the upper ones), Marquette, Copper Harbor (the most northernest point of the lower 48 states and an awesome place to camp for a few days) . . . you could spend a whole month up there and still not see it all!

View attachment 46684

View attachment 46685

View attachment 46686

View attachment 46687

. John, I didn't remember hearing you were form MI. We've been to all those places mentioned and find them all great stops. We've been to every port city on the west side of the state - many great small towns.. Interesting stopovers, restaurants, gift shops. We particularly enjoy South Haven, Saugatuck, Ludington, Frankfort, Petosky, Traverse City, Leland, Mackinaw. Been to all of these many times. But all the other towns along the lake are nice. Almost forgot, try to attend a fish boil... Ummmmm

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
. John, I didn't remember hearing you were form MI.

Yup!

Born and raised Michiganderers. (Spent 33 of my 56 years back there)

Cathy and I hitched up our wagon (1987 Dodge van and a U-Haul trailer) in August of 1995 and headed out to the wild, wild west!

I lived in the Boulder, Longmont and Lafayette Colorado area for three years in the early 80's and always knew that I would move back!

When we still had our boat back there we used to pull it up north to Higgens and Houghton Lakes and Lake Leelanau.

8amps

Re: Route input wanted: Houston, TX to W Yellowstone, MT via Elkhart & Columbus OH

From there we were suppose to go north to Galasher Bay National Park, but over night eight to ten feet of snow fell and shut the park down for a couple of days. It was early June. So we went south through Utah, Grand Staircase National Monument, Bryce Canyon, Ceader Bleaks National Monument, and Zion National Park.

8 to 10 feet of snow! In June! Wow! After Yellowstone, we plan to head to the Pacific Northwest, and if weather and time allows, go to Glacier Bay NP. Not been to Grand Staircase, hope to get to the 4 corners area at some point, but not this year. We'd like to drive/visit the Beartooth Highway but unlike Terry and June, fearless AZ Chapter Leaders, we'll probably leave the rig in Yellowstone and make it a day (or overnight) trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi John!

I'm sure I'll be checking back with you once we get our plans a little more fixed. Your photos are great! We plan to see Tena and Craig in Hot Springs on our way north. Alas, no plans for Colorado for the rest of the year :( But you never know!!! Hope you're enjoying the new rig!!!

PS Great photos!!!!