RV and Forum Novice in desperate need of any advice

I apologize in advance but I do not understand forum abbreviations so bear with me please.
The husband and I just purchased a new Prowler 26. A huge upgrade from our small Jayco popup so there is much to learn and little time.
First thing first, we own an F250 Superduty. I imagine it has the pulling capacity (I would get my husband nothing less) but the concern is whether we need to purchase a weight distribution hitch and sway bar together or do we only need one or the other? I understand the weight distribution keeps the hitch level and sway bar helps with the left and right swaying but some have told us we need both and others that we only need sway? So confused - please help

Oh and shucks I forgot to introduce myself and not quite sure how that works so i'll give it my best shot:
Married with 3 kids and a pug. Experienced camper but not quite an expert especially when it comes to RVs.
Enjoy family time, camping, meeting others, and learning new things everyday.

I really do appreciate any advice y'all have to give!

danemayer

Hi lostnfound333,

Congratulations on your new Prowler and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a bunch of friendly people who are quick to reach out with help when you need it.

I'm sure you'll get some good advice shortly regarding hitch/leveling/sway control.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Lostandfound333... Welcome to the forum!
I think you are fine with an f250 even better if it's a diesel. I would suggest the weight distribution hitch with a sway bar. Gives you much better control and safety. You can get them on e-bay or any of the rv parts and supply stores on the web.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Lostandfound333.....,I also welcome you to the family. Which model Prowler do you have? I believe there is 3 models.
I have the 20RBS and only use a weight distribution hitch and tow with a 2011 Ford with no problems.

Thank you for the advice Bret Sandy and Sara! I thought it would be a safer bet to go with both and was looking into sway bars on left and right since we are towing over 26'. Unfortunately our F250 isn't diesel but it is 4 wheel drive and has an electronic breaking system for towing so I suppose something of that is good. Definitely will look into purchasing from an online site as our RV store wants over $400 and I've been finding them running around $200 and can get the second sway bar for $40. Nice meeting you and thank you again!

Hi Dan and Ann! Thank you for the congratulations! We are rather excited and can't wait for the kids to enjoy it! Pleasure meeting you :)

Thank you Jim & Melody! Ginger is so adorable! We purchased the 2013 26bph no slide-outs. It seems a nice unit, we are to go through the walk around this weekend which is super exciting for the kids and us! Our F250 is the v-8 non diesel but that is the extent of my knowledge unfortunately.

Kbvols

I would recommend weight distribution hitch and sway bar. I used to pull my TT with my 2500 for short distances/local camping never used but for longer trips always used as provided more stable towing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also say YES to getting both. We had a 26ft. TT before the Bighorn that we pulled with a Chevy Avalanche. The one time I pulled it a few miles without the sway bar, I knew it. They're not that expensive and will make your travels safer.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our last North Trail was roughly 30` long and weighed around 5500-6000 lb. We towed it with 2 different F250s One diesel and one gas. The suspension on both, were hardly affected by the small amount of tongue weight of the trailer. I towed both with and without a weight distribution hitch and did not notice any difference. No sway and always very stable. From short trips to long highway trips, no issues or problems. I guess every setup is different and weight placement in the trailer is important. Try some trips with it and see how it handles. We never had to use any sway control, never needed it.

Good Luck.

pegmikef

I have pulled our North Trail (about 32 feet with cargo rack extended) for 15K plus miles in the last two years with an EazLift WD Hitch but no sway bar and have never had a sway problem. The F250 probably has the sway control option if it is like mine. I would not tow it without a WD Hitch, but I personally would not buy the sway bar. One thing I did learn though is the ball height in relation to the tongue's ball cupl is critical, so make sure you personally review the documentation for whatever system you decide on to make sure it is correctly installed.

You guys have all been so great in helping me make a decision whether to get weight distribution hitch and sway bar control or just one or the other. From past experience I learned that towing our jayco popup we had alot of sway. I am not sure if this was because the trailer was light or not since it really wasn't windy. I think just for safety sake I am going to use both since we are new to pulling this size TT and i figure I can't go wrong spending $300 on safety for my family. Now the question is how this affects backing into sites, turning corners etc. I hear some say to remove/disengage the sway prior yet others say they have always left them on without a problem.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Depending on the type of WD hitch you have. We had the round bar WD hitch and it was easily removed. If I had a sharper turn to back into the site, I would always unhook. It just seemed like it put less strain on the chains. It also put more weight on the back wheels so I did not spin as easy, if it was a gravel, uphill entrance into the site.

The F250 is a big powerful truck, it will handle your trailer great. Just get the hitch set up properly. Peace of mind is priceless.

Jamie

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
As easy as it is to loosen or remove either one, I have never done it. I'm backing in so slowly and maybe I take an extra cut or two to make the turning angle less sharp. It's never been an issue. I might try it next time to see if there is any difference, if I can remember. lol

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The secret to a TT not swaying...is make sure that it is level with the TV. If its nose high it will sway. Just keep that in mind when you set up the ball height. Do it on level ground. I will say yes to WD hitch....sway bar maybe. Check it again after you load it for travel. This is to say. Make sure you do not load it tooo heavy in the rear. Keep the weight towards the front or ahead of the axles.

pegmikef

I have never removed the bars for backing or turning and have never had a problem. Like Bret, on really sharp angles, I might take extra cuts to get in. I have found in a lot of parks that it is the obstacles in front of the TV that can be the problem (e.g, a tree right where the front of the TV needs to swing to execute the turn).

travis_g

We had a 27' coachman a while back and we started with an 05 F150. I used the WD hitch and the sway bar. When we upgraded to a 2011 F250 it had the integrated sway control and it worked better than the bar so I stopped using it.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express