Service power

Routemaster

I have again lost one leg of power so the only thing I have not checked is where the power comes in to the house question where is the junction box located where the roller meets the house cable?This is getting old.
Den

rhodies1

Check to see if you have a bad plug end. I had one of the terminals broke inside the rubber end. Grab each terminal and see if you can move it. Also check the round terminal. It could be broken but making contact sporadically when using cord

Routemaster

Check to see if you have a bad plug end. I had one of the terminals broke inside the rubber end. Grab each terminal and see if you can move it. Also check the round terminal. It could be broken but making contact sporadically when using cord
I just been told that the shore line reel have given problems and they have three brass contacts and one them could be corroded and they could have an exchange program. I will check the plug thanks.

TrailCreek

If it's is the reel contactors. You could get a watchdog that has a Bluetooth app that will tell you if it's you or the shore power.

I edited a larger post about the reel contactors, and it deleted the whole thing. The reel cassette manufacturer may sell a rebuild kit, and if that's the problem, also change out plastic rewind gears with metal if you have plastic gears. Getting to the area where the contacts and gears may be simple or require removing some J-trim. Doing both at one time may save a lot of work in the future.

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

I had a similar problem years ago with my power reel. I was not the contactors, but the wire connections inside the power reel. The nuts were becoming loose. One of my power legs were coming loose and the neutral was loose. After cleaning with DeOxit, I torqued them and then used electronic safe silicone to stake the nuts. Never had a problem afterwards.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Den, here is a link to a cord reel issue post. It may help.

Peace
Dave

Routemaster

Dave. The problem got solved. I did a check the continuity between plug and three nuts LI,L2 no burning there in the reel then to ATS no leaks so coach is good so then the park management changed the breaker and no it seem to be fine.
Cheers.
Den.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Dave. The problem got solved. I did a check the continuity between plug and three nuts LI,L2 no burning there in the reel then to ATS no leaks so coach is good so then the park management changed the breaker and no it seem to be fine.
Cheers.
Den.
Have had breakers replaced by park maintenance in several parks over the years

TrailCreek

Please look at a Power Watchdog or similar product. It would have saved you a lot of grief and will protect your RV from voltage problems like this, but more frequently, low voltage, which will shorten AC and other appliances' lives. I lost three AC's before I got mine.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

taskswap

Another vote for the Watchdog. One of the best investments anyone dealing with shore power can make.

It has a hidden benefit if anyone needs a final kick to get over the decision line. If you happen to also get or have an RVWhisper, that can talk to the Watchdog. It can give you graphs of power fluctuations over time so you can tell if you are dealing with just periodic issues, and also alert you if the power goes out. If you have a pet staying behind on a hot summer day it's really nice to have the peace of mind knowing they're in a safe environment and the AC hasn't gone out.

roy2

Another vote for the Watchdog. One of the best investments anyone dealing with shore power can make.

It has a hidden benefit if anyone needs a final kick to get over the decision line. If you happen to also get or have an RVWhisper, that can talk to the Watchdog. It can give you graphs of power fluctuations over time so you can tell if you are dealing with just periodic issues, and also alert you if the power goes out. If you have a pet staying behind on a hot summer day it's really nice to have the peace of mind knowing they're in a safe environment and the AC hasn't gone out.
im just wondering you refured to a rv whisper what is that. thanks

mtnswift

I lost one leg in my Landmark in January. I assumed the reel contacts, and replaced the reel. Ended up being the Automatic Transfer Switch. Worth a look there as well.

wdk450

You know I have long thought that a set of 3 LED pilot lights on each of the main power system components - Male end of power cord, output side of cord reel or female power inlet, output of transfer switch, maybe even the inside breaker panel, should make electrical mains troubleshooting much easier.
Don't the Onan generators have these pilot lights already?

taskswap

im just wondering you refured to a rv whisper what is that. thanks

Not shilling for them - this can be an expensive product that not everyone needs. But what it does is pretty cool. It's a little (about the size of 2 packs of gum) "base station" that can talk to a huge pile of different sensors - they sell temp and humidity in the base kits (useful for knowing if your fridge has failed or a hard frost means it's time to winterize early) but also it will integrate with a lot of third party sensors, including the Mopeka TankCheck, Watchdog power monitor, as well as leak sensors, door-open sensors, etc. You can mix and match based on what you want to monitor, and if you have Wifi (Starlink, a hotspot, or campground), it will report over the Internet to a Web-based dashboard where you can set up alerts.

We got it initially to make sure our dogs were always in a safe environment when we have to leave them in the RV, but I've come to value the data for other purposes.