Shore Power Arcing

bjgov

Brand new here. Hopefully this is the right place. I have a 2013 Heartland NorthTrail TT. 30 amp. Earlier this summer I noticed when I unplugged from power at a sight, some burning around the prong and outlet. I’ve always used one of these plug boxes in between the cord and the outlet that tells you everything is wired correctly. I was using the original cord that was somewhat beat up so I replaced it. New cord, same issue at a different sight. Then I questioned if the intermediate box was bad so this weekend I skipped the box and went directly to the outlet. Early in the weekend it was fine, I was checking. Then today Same thing, even worse. Basically melted the plug to the outlet and lost connection to power. Didn’t trip the breaker just lost power to A/C, fridge, etc. I've checked inside the panel and the power inlet and it seems everything is tight and secure and there is no sign of heat or arcing.

I've read this can be due to a loose connection, and/or, low voltage situations. Any other thoughts or courses of action?

Thanks,

IMG_1566 (1).jpgIMG_1564.jpgIMG_1569.jpgIMG_1567.jpgIMG_1583.jpgIMG_1581.jpgIMG_1577.jpg
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...268426&th=19109ef30e36948a&view=att&disp=safe
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...268426&th=19109ef30e36948a&view=att&disp=safe

Dahillbilly

loose dirty connections will cause melting like that; plus loose / dirty connections will cause higher amp draw also. Look for loose connections at the main breaker for the 120vac panel. Picture posted is the 12vdc fuse panel. Good luck

Roller4tan

If you haven't already, make it a practice to turn off the breaker at the power outlet source. If that's not an option turn off your trailer's main breakers before unplugging your trailer. Every time you pull your plug with power still on it, it will arc a little. Doing this enough will cause a coating on the prongs that increases the resistance.

bjgov

If you haven't already, make it a practice to turn off the breaker at the power outlet source. If that's not an option turn off your trailer's main breakers before unplugging your trailer. Every time you pull your plug with power still on it, it will arc a little. Doing this enough will cause a coating on the prongs that increases the resistance.
For sure. This was never something I paid that much attention to. I've learned a lot about best practices through this fiasco. Also going to generally pay more attention to the prongs and clean/brush them regularly.

Roller4tan

Another thing I do... I purchased a spray can of DeOxIt contact cleaner and spray a few shots into the outlet before I plug in. I suppose any electrical cleaner will work.