Should I Order the 7000# axles for the 3185RL? Good or Bad?

glenned

As a long term Motorhome user, I have experienced that they are often at or over their GVWR. I don't want to make that mistake with a 5th wheel. In the past I have found that my rigs were heavier than they were specified to be.

I am preparing to order a 3185RL. It comes stock with 6K axles. I am weighing the pros/cons of ordering it with the 7K axles and am looking for input.

The 3185 comes with the 12" frame the same as the models that come with the 7K axles stock and that are rated at 16K GVWR, versus the 3185RL's 14K GVWR (limited by the 6K axles).

The question is, if the coach is less than its 14K GVWR, will the 7K axles provide the coach with a harsher ride that might tend to cause more damage during travel or will they just provide an extra margin of safety?

I am ordering the coach with every option available except the Bedroom A/C. That includes the 5.5K gen, dual pane windows, 4 door fridge, auto-levelers, convection microwave, 2nd fantastic fan, bedroom TV, fireplace, high gloss exterior, central vac, slide awnings, toy lock, power cord reel, heat pump, and 2" trailer hitch at the rear bumper. I do a lot of dry camping and so at times will be traveling with a full tank of water. Also, I will sometimes carry a 300# dirt bike on the rear hitch. I figure that the bike, gas, tools, gear and the bike carrier for the hitch will be an additional 500#-600#.

I discussed this with the dealer and he had a sheet which showed how much weight each option added to the weight of the "Standard Run" trailer. That indicated that my trailers dry weight should be 11.7K. Water and propane would add another 700# bringing the total to 12.4K. That leaves me with 1.6K of cargo capacity with the stock axles. At times, I will be close to the GVWR, hence my question about the 7K axles.

Following are the options not included in the "Standard Run" 3185RL trailer and how much weight they add to it: 5.5K gen - 315#; Auto-Levelers - 115#; Dual pane windows - 280"; power cord reel - 25#; slide awnings - 35#; convection microwave - 10#.

If these estimates turn out to be underestimates of the weights, then I would be overweight.

Thanks,
glenned

floridarandy

i can't imagine you hurt yourself with upsizing any of the running gear....just more safety margin. the "normal" config seems to be designed right at the margin so i'd upsize any running gear you have the option to do. my 2 cents.

GOTTOYS

I would get the upgrade and be sure to upgrade the tires to the Goodyear g-614s at the same time...Don

Rickhansen

Heavier axles shouldn't cause any different ride, heavier springs would though, right? While heavier axles is probably a good idea in my opinion, I would also question if that is the limiting factor on the GVWR rating of the coach. I'd also question leaving off the second A/C if you plan to camp in the summertime.

f250dieseldad

We ordered the 7000# axles on our 3185. Not sorry we did. I don't think the ride is any different. I would also order the Goodyear G-614 tires.

caissiel

One big advantage of the 7K axle has been the ease of pulling my Big Country. The fuel saved on pulling your trailer might pay for the axle cost difference. I am getting fantastic fuel mileage with mine and I attribute the savings to the design of the trailer and the 110 PSI I keep in the tires.

I pulled a 26ft TT trailer this month and once I was pass 40MPH I was getting worst MPG then mine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
7K axles, I assume you mean axles and springs. On my last BH I upgraded to 7k springs from 6k. I did not notice a difference in the ride. I would get them along with the GY G614's.
As stated above, I would get the 2nd AC and and have them install the second Fantastic Vent in the bathroom.

Peace
Dave

glenned

To All,

Thanks for your input.

I ordered the 7K axle assemblies (which includes the springs and shackles). Also, the Goodyear 'G' rated tires. I have a Hensley Trailer Saver BD3 air hitch.

I opted for the Fantastic Fan in the Bedroom, instead of the 2nd A/C because the fan is usable without shore power, where as the A/C isn't. I dry camp a lot. I reasoned as follows:

At idle, 60# of propane will power the generator for 33 hours. At half load, 60# of propane will power the generator for 18.2 hours (3.3#/Hr). This isn't long enough make it practical to power even one A/C, much less two for the duration of a vacation.

As for those times when I do have shore power, I am relying on the advice of my father-in-law, who has owned 5 fifth wheel trailers. He figures that the one 15K A/C is enough for a 35' trailer and that, at any event, I can close down the vents in the bedroom or the living room as needed to cut off the air from the part of the trailer that I am not using if I find that the A/C isn't keeping up. The trailer is wired for the 2nd air, so that it could be added later, if I find that he is wrong. Also, I would prefer not to increase the pin weight by the weight of the 2nd A/C unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks Again,
Glenn

lwmcguir

A cushion/safety margin for tires and axles makes sense where you are hauling cows or pulling your Camper.

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
Glenned;
We have a 2011, BH 3585 with 5500 propane Onan. We let let the salesman in Florida, talk us out of the 2nd A/C. We did have the Fantastic fan installed in bedroom. On a aveage spring night we can open windows in bedroom and turn on fantastic fan and really enjoy cool breeze and it's on battery. In summer it's just not enough for the wife. I spent last summer doing some boondocking, at the Kentucky State Fairgrounds at Good Sams rally for a week. We were in no power section. You are right about propane generator being a hog on fuel. 30# last me about 9 hrs trying to run only A/C at night. If I changed bottles at 10pm I would run out about 7 am. I took along two additional 50# bottles that just stick over the bed a few inches. Even packed pretty tighly they would last all night 7 to 7. I added extra long pigtail to one side of manifold so I could put bottles under pin to keep out of way and out of direct sunlight. We did not run during the day because I didn't want to leave unattended while at show. When we got home we REALLY wished we had 2nd A/C. I will tell you that I am going to add second A/C to bedroom, take the fantastic to bath and have the best of both worlds. Cool breeze at night when cool air exist, cool breeze A/C when I need it.
If I had to do it again, I would not buy Propane generator if I knew I was going to use it a lot. It's just too hard to supply at boondock locations. I would opt for gas. Now there are approved tanks that I saw at Onan booth available that can be mounted under belly of unit, or I would save the money and get a 65oo watt Honda to leave in bed of truck, or put in frt compartment in coach on a sliding tray and remove to use. I know about space in truck because I carried a 3000 watt before I got this coach. I had a short bed truck before. The draw back on 6500 is weight. You gotta be a man to take it out of back of truck by yourself, and load it again. You can use 2 - 3000 watt to do same job but I'd prefer one 6500. I insulated my generator with correct heat resistant dense foam insulation and sealed exhaust very well so it absolutely could not re enter compartmenet and that did two things. Cooled entire compartment and made it so quiet that we had no problem sleeping above it.