Slide out tray in basement

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I never did understand the positioning of the Level Up control on the door side.
Mine is positioned in a cutout in the wall on the off door side.
When I am ready to level or retract the gear I am on the side of the trailer where most of my activity is. Driver side of the truck.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I never did understand the positioning of the Level Up control on the door side.
When I am ready to level or retract the gear I am on the side of the trailer where most of my activity is. Driver side of the truck.

Peace
Dave

On our Rushmore, there's already a plumbing and electric raceway on the door side. The Level Up control fits nicely without taking space from some other part of the basement storage area.

jayc

Legendary Member
Our 2011 Grand Canyon has the same raceway as Dan's on the door side. Makes a nice clean location for the Level Up controls.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I also have that raceway on the door side.
Maybe it's all in what you get used to.
For me when I hop out of the truck I go straight back open the door and hit auto level. Then start setting up the water and electric. No going from one side to the other.
Here is my off door install. Might not be for every one but it works for me

Peace
Dave
b5a7653de9aa552cd852b34cfa7890c0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Peace
Dave

I always thought it was odd to have the LevelUp controller on the door side as well.

You:
1. Get out of your truck on the ODS (off-door-side)
2. Lower your front jacks from the switch on the ODS
3. Pull your hitch handle from the ODS

To me, it just made sense to have the LevelUp controller on the ODS. I lobbied for a few years with 2 Landmark GMs and got it moved to the ODS a couple years ago. That's my two cents and I will take the blame for it being on the ODS on LM 365 product.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, you should have lobbied for all products! Ours in the new 2016 BC is on the door side. How hard would it be to move it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim, you should have lobbied for all products! Ours in the new 2016 BC is on the door side. How hard would it be to move it?

Erika,

It's harder for me to lobby this sort of thing for all brands as the brand GM needs to be on board with and agree to it. Easier for me to influence one brand GM for the brand I'm using.

That said - not all product users are on board with having the display on the ODS. I've heard from many that prefer it right where it's at on their coach - on the door side.

In terms of what it takes to do it:
- Use up of bezel inventory that controller display snaps into
- Order same bezel used in Landmark (the bezels are different when mounted to the same wall but opposite side of coach)
- ECN (Engineering Change Notice) and PCN (Production Change Notice)
- Production routes wiring to ODS, starts using new bezel and mounts it on ODS

So - not a huge deal to change, just that the GM has to want it, then push it through engineering, purchasing, then production.

On edit: I just sent a request into the BH/OM and BC/ER GMs to see what they think about moving the display to the ODS on future builds. We shall see :)

Also Erika - I just reread your post. I now think you are asking me how hard it would be for "you" to move it. Not likely hard at all. There's likely enough slack in the wiring harness. You'd just need to modify the bezel or make a new holder/mount for the display.

danemayer

I think I recall someone posting a mod where they relocated their control panel to the off-door-side. If they see this, maybe they'll share the details.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just cut a hole in the wall, whatever the size of the controller is, about 3 x 4.
Reroute the wires and done.
If I remember correctly the front bezel/keypad snaps off for access to the mounting screws.
If you look at the picture in post #25 of this thread in the upper right you will see the routing of the wires enclosed in a plastic loom.
I'll look at it today.

Peace
Dave

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I prefer mine where it's at now but that is also what I am used too as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks Jim for the detailed explanation. I was asking for us to move it. Any pics or threads related would be helpful.

jbeletti

I heard back from Joel E today - he has already moved the LevelUp display to the Off Door Side on Big Country and Elkridge. I understand this to be a recent change.

No word back from Tom M on Bighorn and Oakmont.

Bones

I know this is off topic but has any thought been out into a access door on the ODS of the coach that houses just the level up panel or has this already been done and no one liked it? All I can say is that level up would have been real nice last Tuesday. :cool:

dlw930

I know this is off topic but has any thought been out into a access door on the ODS of the coach that houses just the level up panel or has this already been done and no one liked it? All I can say is that level up would have been real nice last Tuesday. :cool:

I've seen a dedicated access door on the ODS on other brands, Redwood, for one, I believe. The door also had a lock for security.

jbeletti

I've seen a dedicated access door on the ODS on other brands, Redwood, for one, I believe. The door also had a lock for security.

Heartland actually did this for me as a one-off special-build a number of years ago. I liked it except they put it in the gen wall above the front jack switch. Would have preferred it in the side like DRV does. As the display is fairly shallow, I think this could be done as a DIY project. Paint would be needed though.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The inventor of the system had an access door on his older Mobil Suites.
I thought about adding one on my Bighorn then decided I like what I got.

Peace
Dave