SOLVED: Generator not providing power to all circuits

Jetskier

I have a 2013 3010 cyclone that just started to have a problem with the power from the generator... I turned the generator on, the lights brightened like normal when the relay kicked but then quickly went back dim running off the battery supply, from this point on I don't have power to about half of the circuits. The invertor, the ac, and the tv in the living room don't have power. The microwave, central vac, and bedroom tv have power. I checked the 30 amp breakers on the onan and they had not tripped, but tried turning them off and back on with no luck. I also flipped all the other breakers inside with no luck. After getting home I plugged it into shore power and everything is working. Turn on the generator and I only have some circuits again? The relays appear to be working. I don't know were to look next... anyone have an idea? oh and I also checked the 3 30 amp fuses on the invertor and they are all good. Thank you

wdk450

Re: Need help with generator not providing power to all circuits

Jetskier:
Your problem sounds like you have lost 1 phase from the generator. 50 amp RV power has 2 hot wires and 1 common neutral wire. The electrical loads throughout the trailer are split between the 2 hot feeds, 1/2 on 1 phase and 1/2 on the other. So you need to figure out where the 1 phase of power from the generator has been lost. I believe there are 2 output power circuit breakers on the generator, and then the power is routed to the transfer switch, where either generator, or shore power, source is automatically selected. The circuit path from the transfer switch to the breaker box and electrical loads is the same with either source of power. You may have a faulty transfer switch.
The 3 30 amp fuses you speak of are probably on the "Converter", a device that converts 110 volts A.C. into 12 Volts D.C. to run the lighting and 12 Volt DC devices, as well as charging your battery system. Personally, I like to call these devices "Converter/Chargers". This device is primarily involved with the 12 Volt DC power system, and is not related to your 110 Volt AC power problems.

Good Luck!!!

Jetskier

The Transfer switch I assume is the metal box with the two relays in it? I removed the cover and unplugged from shore power and with generator off, both relays were open. When I start the generator one of the two relays will close, If the generator is off and I plug it in to shore power, the other relay closes and the first one stays open. I'll have to check the output on the relays and compare... maybe their are two phases leaving each relay and even though it is closing one of them has a bad contactor? Hard to believe with such little use... I'll check it out tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestions!!

bd2dabone

tighten all your wiring connections in your breaker box. Check at breaker, check all neutrals on buss and all grounds on buss. WITH POWER OFF. Just had a few circuits out on mine and discovered numerous loose connections in the breaker box. One leg of my 50 amp was extremely loose. My problem was on generator power so I also opened the bulkhead where the xfer switch is and snugged all connections there and observed for proper switching. Dont know which solved the problem-it works now and i have all snuggly connected wires

Jetskier

Thank you for all the replies... I found the issue. The good thing is it was a cheap fix, the bad news is it's another example of poor workmanship. Like bd2dabone said, I should probably go through all connections to check them. My problem was in the junction box where the generator connects to the trailer. One of the legs of 120 I found burnt to the neutral! I removed the wire nut on the other leg of 120 just to check it, and it was a half *** connection at best... about 1/8" of the 4 or 6 gauge wire was stripped going to the ATS and about 1 1/2" stripped of the 10-12 gauge wire coming from the generator and looks like it was just all balled up in the end of the wire nut. Anyway, I cut everything back and made new connections and all is good again. Luckily this did not result in a fire... quality control really needs improvement @ heartland. when I first got the trailer home and looked in the gen compartment, the panel that this junction box was mounted on was just laying on the floor as it looks like the mounting screws never hit anything solid and just bounced out on the way home from the dealer. I wish these were my only complaints... lol Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

I very much agree that Heartland needs better QA. Actually, it may be a case they need QA in general. Three months and a number of issues. We are talking issues that cause me a disruption in my travels to bring this rig to a shop or pay a mobile mechanic or take my time.

Tim

Omegas

Just a quick thank you as I was trouble shooting the same thing and found the exact same problem. This thread pointed to the problem like a lit arrow. Thanks again.