SOLVED: No power to TV outlets in living room....

NHCelt

Hi....the shakedown continues...I suddenly have no power to any of the outlets in the entertainment area of my 3270RS.
All breakers appear fine. Anyone have suggestions as to location of junction boxes or suggestions for what to check next.
The 12 volt Jensen is up and running...

Celt

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NHCelt

Re: No power to TV outlets in living room....

Add to that no power to fridg or kitchen outlets. Microwave if fine.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Do not rely on a visual of the breakers. Be sure to turn them off then back on again.
There is a junction box below the slide. Be sure to unplug from shore power and turn off your generator if equipped. Then remove the junction box covers and check for loose wires.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Also check the campground pedestal and the shore power cord to make sure everything is seated fully. You may have lost one of the 2 power legs coming into the trailer.

NHCelt

Yea...tried all that. Power on both legs, all breakers have 120 when on, nothing when off. Two junction boxes under the slide. One has power, the other does not. My assumption is the one with power is the microwave...which works.
The other box has nothing. Heartland does not have access to the electrical diagram for this model, but working on it. I have also swapped out the suspect breaker with another and no results.
I hate to think that I have to open up all the rubber tubing under the slide to getcat wires.

Also...yes, the gfi in the bathroom was reset...all the gfi outlets have power.

Roller4tan

Check where the wires enter into the bottom of the slide. Mine had scraped on a metal stiffener for the wiper seals and cut the hot lead. I repaired the wire and bent the stiffener so it wouldn't cut my repair again when the slide was in.

NHCelt

Two junction boxes, one is micro..OK, the other is fireplace +OK) and dead outlets. Power at breaker.....hidden junction box????

NHCelt

So far, the wiring on the slide passes a visual. All in waterproof tubing, and then in plastic wireloom. It appears as if the power for this circuit comes through a hole in the frame. Don't really want to open up the underneath without knowing if there is a hidden junction box.

mlpeloquin

There are no hidden junction boxes. The connections are made in with the sockets. They are insulation displacement type connections. I had two outlets without power. I found the problem in a working box that contained three romex wires. The bottom set was not fully seated so the top third set could bearly make a connection. It finally came loose. I pushed all wires down to seat at the bottom of the fingers. This allows the top set to be properly seated.

As you can see even an open ground. It could be in one of the dead boxes or a live one like I had.Open Ground.jpg

Last edited:

NHCelt

Frustrated and still trying to work through this....

Have owned this new 3270 for three weeks and have had nothing but issues.

Leaky ac, leaks in hydraulics, fridg hi limit and now a whole circuit out. Being in the FL Keys does not help...no internet except phone and no dealerships.

Heartland is not being forthcoming with electrical diagram and mobile tech may be here in a couple days. (It's the keys they say)

Sorry for the rant..

So...trying to work through this but ...

WHERE is the access point for all of the wiring that runs to the back of the breaker box? I need to track the circuit and not sure where to start here. I would expect a wiring chase and see no access. Hoping to be able to see the wire run as without the diagram I'm at a loss and need to inspect.

Suspecting the bottom has to be opened up. Does Heartland routinely run their main wire runs in the belly and the have branch circuits at junction boxes on the frame?

Does anyone know the best place to start that?

Thanks... AGAIN.

danemayer

Take a few screws out of the coroplast so you can peek inside in the area of the j-box. That may let you see where the wires go. An impact wrench works much better than a socket/ratchet and is less likely to shear the heads off the screws.

While I'm not sure, I'd expect a straight run from the circuit breaker panel to the junction box. So if you have power as the wire comes out of the breaker, the most likely failure after the junction box, is where the wire goes through the frame.

When you were checking the circuit breaker, did you also check the neutral buss bar to make sure you don't have a disconnected neutral?

A non-contact voltage tester will make it a lot easier to figure out where there's power and where there isn't. They cost $10-20 and are available at most hardware stores. Get the $20 unit.

NHCelt

Solved.

There is one 15 amp circuit labeled slideout that controls every non gfi outlet in the main living area...both slideouts, entertainment center and fridg. First outlet on the circuit is dining table.

There are two junction boxes in play on this circuit, one under each slide. My issue was the junction box under the doorside slide...the first junction boxes I checked were on the side with no power...that was why I couldn't find an issue. Without a wiring diagram I had to make guesses and assumptions...that were wrong.

So....the problem was a loose hot wire in a mid circuit junction box before the last working outlet on the side of the rig opposite the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Celt

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for sharing this adventure so we all can learn! Glad you got it solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Celt, just so you know. You will never get a wiring diagram. They do not exist except on maybe a $million bus. RV's are not like cars or trucks.

avvidclif

Celt, just so you know. You will never get a wiring diagram. They do not exist except on maybe a $million bus. RV's are not like cars or trucks.

The 2006 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Class A a friend has came with a complete set of books on everything, wiring diagrams, power control system(yes it has one), engine, chassis, etc. He corrected me. He has a "massive PDF file of my entire layout in my RV including wiring. As well as about 20 lbs of manuals on every piece of equipment in it"

mlpeloquin

My old class C had all the schematics, plumbing diagrams, full assembly diagrams, and parts list as well. All were on line in PDF format. Even listed what of the different types of sealant that were used and where they were used on the assembly diagrams.

NHCelt

All I really wanted was to know what was on what circuit...they really need to be able to provide that. They have it for other floorplan, hunt not mine.

justafordguy

There is no real reason why these rigs don't have better documentation other than the manufacturers are just lazy.

danemayer

I used to work for a guy who has a sign in his office that read:

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
FOR THE MAN
WHO DOESN'T HAVE TO DO IT.