Someone tried to steal my trailer hitch . . .

brianlajoie

I agree with Dick - I have a roll up Truxedo tonneau cover and always lock my tailgate. Someone would have to be able to lift 300 pounds if they knew the hitch was under the cover and lift it over the locked tailgate. I also have a toolbox under the cover that I always keep locked.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I do keep my tailgate locked as there has been a rash of tail gate thefts around here.

MTPockets

John, leave the hitch on the trailer pin box. Pull your pins at the base, hitch up to the Prowler, then raise the nose of the Prowler and drive away. The entire hitch can just hang on the pin and it's a very easy process. I've done it to open truck bed space when I needed it.

Oregon_Camper

John, leave the hitch on the trailer pin box. Pull your pins at the base, hitch up to the Prowler, then raise the nose of the Prowler and drive away. The entire hitch can just hang on the pin and it's a very easy process. I've done it to open truck bed space when I needed it.

Wouldn't this just make it easier to steal? All someone would have to do it release the clamp lock and the entire hitch would fall to the ground?

I must be not thinking of something..??

MTPockets

Wouldn't this just make it easier to steal? All someone would have to do it release the clamp lock and the entire hitch would fall to the ground?

I must be not thinking of something..??
My clamp lock has a place for a padlock which I use. The trailer is also kept in a secure area, so it's a lot less likely to be taken. I do it to free up my bed space when I need it. John Parks at his house. Better security than the mall parking lot.

BigGuy82

My clamp lock has a place for a padlock which I use. The trailer is also kept in a secure area, so it's a lot less likely to be taken. I do it to free up my bed space when I need it. John Parks at his house. Better security than the mall parking lot.

Well, I see from your signature that you're looking to sell the Bighorn. Maybe you should leave it in a less secure area without any locks ....:rolleyes:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
For the time being I've added a more heavy duty cable lock and attached it to the bed of the truck.

I am going to get one of those lock sets shown in the links above.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
glad it was not stolen. They probably wanted it for scrap value since they didn't know how to get it out.

I agree! If they knew enough about the value of that hitch, they would know how to pull it. People all over lately are grabbing anything metal for scrap value regardless of actual value. Guys on another fishing forum have had boat trailers hauled off while they were out fishing!!! I hate a thief.

I have an older Mountain Master air ride hitch that bolts to the rails with (4) 1" hex head bolts that are torqued down. The hitch weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 200# I think, so they would really have to want it bad.

HornedToad

For the time being I've added a more heavy duty cable lock and attached it to the bed of the truck.

I am going to get one of those lock sets shown in the links above.

I'm using a cable to secure the head to a padlock on the levers of my B&W Ford OEM Hitch...

Attachments

• Hitch.jpg
    Hitch.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 55

farside291

It could have been worse, I heard a about someone who did not inspect their hitch and when they went to drive away someone had pulled all of the pins and the hitch came out of the rails! They were probably trying to steal it and couldn't lift it or playing a very bad joke. After I read that I drilled two of the rail pins and added pad locks with matching keys.