sometimes I just want a good cup of coffee

Bobby A

I got the 400 watt inverter for the truck, it works fine for most things that I need while traveling lap top and such, but when I plug in the coffee pot it pops a breaker in my truck. I looked on the coffee pot and its 950 watts, no wonder it pops the breaker. Do they make a inverter that will run my coffee pot ?? or do I find a coffee pot that takes less watts to run ?? suggestions please. No, I don't wanna invest in a generator thanks anyway. (lol) What do you guys do when you just wanna pull off at a rest area and make a quick cup of coffee ??

Northern Virginia
I bought my inverter primarily to run my coffee pot. It is a 2500 watt modified sine wave and works great.

A standard kitchen receptacle (20 amp) will provide up to 2400 watts. A standard convience receptacle (15 amp) up to 1800 watts. By getting a 2500 watt inverter, you should be able to power anything you plug into it. How long it'll run depends on your battery bank.

John

Bobby A

I bought my inverter primarily to run my coffee pot. It is a 2500 watt modified sine wave and works great.

A standard kitchen receptacle (20 amp) will provide up to 2400 watts. A standard convience receptacle (15 amp) up to 1800 watts. By getting a 2500 watt inverter, you should be able to power anything you plug into it. How long it'll run depends on your battery ban

John

Thanks John, excuse my ignorance but is this the kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my truck ?? like mine is, if so where do I get it and what is the approx price ?? I just want my coffee !!(lol)
Thanks,
Bobby A

RollingHome

Bobby A, you caffiene nut you ! Any 1500 Watt inverter will work for ya... ya don't have to get fancy, it's only a ni-chrome heating element. If it were me, being coffee conesseur and addict, I'd just hit Mickey D's. They were rated # 1 in the good ole USA... even beat out Star-Bucks... go figure huh :)

branson4020

Icantre Member
Bobby,

You will not find an inverter that is big enough to power your coffee maker and still plug into your cigarette lighter socket. These 1500W and up inverters need to be hard-wired to your battery terminals with some reasonably stout wire. 950 watts means an 80A draw on your 12V battery - realistically more like 100A with an inefficient inverter.

SilverRhino

I too love my coffee...my solution for years has always been local diner, now Micky Ds, and a good Stanley thermos! This system works....and I don't have to run any wires, plus gives me another chance to stretch my legs & empty the "tank".

Good Luck..

Travel Safe!

Two Hands

Talking on a cell phone while driving - dangerous.

Texting while driving - dangerous.

Brewing a pot of coffee while driving a truck pulling Big Horn - cool.

Bobby A

Bobby,

You will not find an inverter that is big enough to power your coffee maker and still plug into your cigarette lighter socket. These 1500W and up inverters need to be hard-wired to your battery terminals with some reasonably stout wire. 950 watts means an 80A draw on your 12V battery - realistically more like 100A with an inefficient inverter.

I looked online after my original post, it looks like most of them come with terminals to connect to the battery, so are you saying that the terminals thats provided with a 1500 watt unit would not be sufficient ?? I do like Mickey D's coffee my coffee of choice though is Dunken Donuts neither can be found in a truck stop or rest area when I wanna stop for a while, we buy the big 2 1/2 pound bag at Sam's club or Costco and can make my own.

Bobby A

Bobby A, you caffiene nut you ! Any 1500 Watt inverter will work for ya... ya don't have to get fancy, it's only a ni-chrome heating element. If it were me, being coffee conesseur and addict, I'd just hit Mickey D's. They were rated # 1 in the good ole USA... even beat out Star-Bucks... go figure huh :)

Mickey D's is pretty good coffee I must say, however I have never seen one in a rest stop on the interstate when I just wanna pull off for a quick shot of Java. I never did like Star Bucks.

RollingHome

This fits in here... I live in the country... the local independent church has a board out front... here's what was posted last week. " If you love Jesus, honk" "if you want to meet him TEXT while driving". Gotta luv the sense of humor huh ?

Bobby A

Talking on a cell phone while driving - dangerous.

Texting while driving - dangerous.

Brewing a pot of coffee while driving a truck pulling Big Horn - cool.

Well let me clarify something Two Hands, I loved your reply however I can't take credit for brewing java in the truck while traveling with the Big Horn attached, I'm sure you knew that already though. I try not to even talk on the phone while driveing. Loved your post though, I'm still laughing, got the visual in my head. Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited:

branson4020

Icantre Member
Bobby,

If your talking about coffe on the road while puliing the trailer, you could also use a manual drip Melitta like one of these. Just boil a little water on the stove and pour. It's quick.

Bobby A

Bobby,

If your talking about coffe on the road while puliing the trailer, you could also use a manual drip Melitta like one of these. Just boil a little water on the stove and pour. It's quick.

We used to have one simular to that. I ended up going to wally world got a small coffee pot(less watts to use) went to Harbor freight and bought a 1500 watt inverter and cables, got it all back to the rig and tried it out, It worked great and now my java delimma is solved. Thanks for everyones input and help. This forum is the best !!

Dave012

If this is in the truck, and if you are parked for a couple of days and forgot to shut it off, will it draw your batteries down?

Bobby A

If this is in the truck, and if you are parked for a couple of days and forgot to shut it off, will it draw your batteries down?

I'm sure it will, I only connect it when I wanna use it. I tried it today at a rest area while resting for a bit, hooked the cables up to the battery of the coach and in 5 minutes I had a fresh cup of Java, disconnected the cables after brewing and off we go with fresh hot coffee. I'm on the road so I will find a way to mount it near the battery compartment when I get back home.