Station's Fuel Pump's 1 Master Key

wdk450

Gang:
I have heard about the gas pump credit card skimmers stealing people's credit for a couple of years now, but there is a "new" twist law enforcement has learned about. The early stories on the skimmers always talked about external, clip on, devices that mated with the credit card reader, and hard to discern from the genuine card reader in the pump. Stories the last year or so, have been more and more about reader devices INTERNAL to the gas pump, and sending the data out by radio Bluetooth connection. Before now, an "inside job" with personell at that gas station suspected. Today I read a story online that a Bay Area news organization has uncovered that most all of these pumps in the country can be opened up WITH 1 MASTER KEY, which the criminal community has gotten a hold of, and is distributing!!! This makes me think (on a much less risk basis) of our CH751 key that opens most RV exterior compartments.

I guess this ends "pay at the pump" for me until stories come out that most of the pumps have been re-keyed with unique keys. I hate having to estimate how many gallons/dollars for the attendant inside rather than just filling up until the hose clicks off.

Here is the story link: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/One-Gas-Pump-Key-Lets-Thieves-Steal-Your-ID-177999751.html

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Station's Fuell Pump's 1 Master Key

If you monitor your statements and keep the receipts until the bill is paid, you should not have to worry about anyone stealing your credit. My primary credit card sends me e-mail notices for any large purchases based on the dollar amount I set. They're also pretty good at catching questionable charges before they process them.

But if you want to lose your arse, use a debit card.

Gaffer

Get a second debit card on the same account. Decline any over-draft protection. You want this card declined if there are not enough funds available. Transfer funds to it as needed and use it for eating out, fueling up or what-ever. You control the risk by limiting to funds available. We will often transfer funds on the way to fueling, shopping or dining.

TXTiger

I recently filled up at a local Chevron station via paying at the pump. I noticed black tape, like electrical tape, with a Chevron logo, covering the key slot to the card reader to indicate that it had not been tampered with. It would be good if all gas stations started doing this to protect us from anyone tampering with the card reader at the pump.

TeJay

Just a few weeks ago I got gas on a Sunday. On Tuesday I went to Houston and bought gas twice on my trip down. The wife called me on Wednesday ans said that the credit card co had called her to check on some charges. Somebody tried to buy something for $1 in PA on Monday and then tried to get their money back. The next charge was from Hollywood CA on Wednesday for $900 from Home Depot. The credit card co was in contact and on top of things. The authorization for payment was given for the two gas charges in TX but nothing else. Somebody must have taken my information on the Sunday before I left for TX. I used my Credit card at Wal-Mart. It was a Wal-Mart card and that's the only thing we use it for. It seems that the companies are on top of things. We did have to cancel that number and get another card issued.
I recently got an e-mail showing how the new cards using the radio transmitter can very easily be hacked. I called Chase and was told that credit card fraud can never be stopped and that's why they keep a close eye on your spending patterns and will alert you when and if it changes. We are also not responsible when it happens. That was somewhat comforting but we will still have to cancel and get new cards.
We were also told several years ago when you finish a gas payment to always push cancel so your numbers are erased. I don't know if it works or if it is true but it won't hurt. JMTCW

TeJay

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Just a few weeks ago I got gas on a Sunday. On Tuesday I went to Houston and bought gas twice on my trip down. The wife called me on Wednesday ans said that the credit card co had called her to check on some charges. Somebody tried to buy something for $1 in PA on Monday and then tried to get their money back. The next charge was from Hollywood CA on Wednesday for $900 from Home Depot. The credit card co was in contact and on top of things. The authorization for payment was given for the two gas charges in TX but nothing else. Somebody must have taken my information on the Sunday before I left for TX. I used my Credit card at Wal-Mart. It was a Wal-Mart card and that's the only thing we use it for. It seems that the companies are on top of things. We did have to cancel that number and get another card issued.
I recently got an e-mail showing how the new cards using the radio transmitter can very easily be hacked. I called Chase and was told that credit card fraud can never be stopped and that's why they keep a close eye on your spending patterns and will alert you when and if it changes. We are also not responsible when it happens. That was somewhat comforting but we will still have to cancel and get new cards.
We were also told several years ago when you finish a gas payment to always push cancel so your numbers are erased. I don't know if it works or if it is true but it won't hurt. JMTCW

TeJay

I had a similar thing happen to me several years ago when I had a Wal-Mart credit card. First charge was for $1 and the next charge was in India for $300. They called me and I declined the charges and cancelled the card. The $1 charge is to test the card validity and then they sell the card number via the internet. Beware of $1 charges.

DuaneG

Most of the time the one dollar charge is the initial test that criminals will do at gas stations because the total gas purchase is not known so they charge a buck and adjust it later. Then if it works they will immediately charge more.

Many good tips others have reported but the best is to have a seperate card for online and swipe purchases. Have all transactions emailed or texted to your phone so you can view all activity and know when something is wrong. We stopped using credit cards a few years ago and will not go back to living outside of our means. I just got a PayPal account for online purchases and they issued me a debit card to withdraw funds. I can also transfer money to that account from my bank account. The best thing is that if the card or number is compromised they can only charge what is in the account. I would never jeopardise my debit card by using it while traveling. Don't want other bills to bounce because of a fraudulent charge. My debit card was fraudulently accessed a couple years ago even when I don't use it anywhere. It was caught by the bank and they immediately sent me a new card. This would have been a nightmare because the card in hand was no longer good. I had the PayPal card as a back up so I could still move money around online and just use the PayPal card until the new card came.

danemayer

Station's Fuell Pump's 1 Master Key

If you have Citicards look up their Virtual cards. Bank ofAmerica has the same thing but its called Shopsafe.

It's primarily for online or phone transactions. The virtual numbers only work at the first merchant you give it to.

Now we need something similar for in- person charges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD