Still problems at kitchen faucet/ice maker water flow

wingfoot

I continue to have problems with the kitchen faucet water flow. I have removed the restrictor from the faucet wand...no help. Not only that, my faucet knocks, and sometimes I get no flow at all..I can, go to the bathroom, turn on the lavatory water, and my kitchen water flow starts..To add to the problem, my Ice maker has stopped working...no water flow to the Ice maker (internally). I checked the water source out side and it seems to be fine. Is it possible for the inlet to the ice maker can freeze? I can get it to cycle but no water flow to the ice maker..

danemayer

Sadly, the water line to the ice maker can freeze. If the refrigerator is located in a slideout, as many are, the water line goes from behind the UDC, through the basement, into the slideout and to the refrigerator. The section that goes to the slideout is not insulated. I think you could pretty easily check the icemaker water line where it connects to the refrigerator behind the lower louver panel on the back of the refrigerator. The other end of the icemaker line connects to the water supply and has a cutoff valve usually located behind the UDC. You have to take down the basement wall to see the back side of the UDC.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good info from danemayer. What has me puzzled is the kitchen fixture flow. I'm thinking when the fixture is under pressure, the reducer built into the valve body is pressured together causing a loss of flow. When another fixture is opened, that reduces the overall pressure and water can make it past the built in reducer I'll post a couple of pictures of the built in device that restrics flow. I removed mine 5 years ago and have no problems since. It's a PITA to get to but I'd bet it's the cause of your problem.

Attachments

• 100_0472..JPG
    100_0472..JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0473..JPG
    100_0473..JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 25

wingfoot

Good info from danemayer. What has me puzzled is the kitchen fixture flow. I'm thinking when the fixture is under pressure, the reducer built into the valve body is pressured together causing a loss of flow. When another fixture is opened, that reduces the overall pressure and water can make it past the built in reducer I'll post a couple of pictures of the built in device that restrics flow. I removed mine 5 years ago and have no problems since. It's a PITA to get to but I'd bet it's the cause of your problem.

Thanks to both for the replies. I have checked the water flow to the solenoid and I have water at that point..as to the freezing, the ambiant temps are not such that it could be a concern.

Ray, where is the this "built in device"? As I stated in my post, per John D I have removed the restrictor in the faucet wand, it did help some but not much..
I'm statring to wonder if the solenoid is bad, but it did not stop making ice until I removed the restrictor in the Kitchen faucet...I dunno! Maybe just a coincident.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks to both for the replies. I have checked the water flow to the solenoid and I have water at that point..as to the freezing, the ambiant temps are not such that it could be a concern.

Ray, where is the this "built in device"? As I stated in my post, per John D I have removed the restrictor in the faucet wand, it did help some but not much..
I'm statring to wonder if the solenoid is bad, but it did not stop making ice until I removed the restrictor in the Kitchen faucet...I dunno! Maybe just a coincident.
The faucet has to be removed from the sink. On the bottom of the valve body there are 2 or 3 screws that hold the main valve (big brass part)within the faucet housing. Once you get the valve body out, the tube that's in the center can be unscrewed to find a rubber restricter. I cut the bottom off of the rubber thing so I could re-use top part as a washer/spacer when re- assembling.
All that said, it might be easier to just go out and buy a good brand name fixture.
As for the solenoid, check the wiring from the solenoid back to the brain box for an in line fuse. Other than that, the only other issue might be calcium build up in your water system. This would, of course, w up at the inlet in the UDC. The screened washer usually gets plugged. Good luck with all this stuff.

danemayer

I've attached 2 pages from the Dometic 1350 manual that show the winterizing procedure, including how to trigger solenoid operation via a "harvest operation".

Attachments

• Dometic RM1350 refrigerator Winterizing.pdf
    341.4 KB · Views: 12

wingfoot

Thanks again guys...as suggested I may just go buy a "higher quality" faucet. Larry PS Dan..I save the file on winterizing the Ice maker...Thanks