Strange Screwdriver

Wharton

In our bag of goodies from Heartland are 2 strange looking screwdrivers. For the life of us we can't figure out what they are for. Does anyone know?

Rickhansen

In late '07, we did not get any hand tools with our rig. If you can provide pictures or a good description, I'm sure someone can help. There are a good many square drive headed screws (I don't think that's the proper name for them) used in RV's.

Wharton

Here is a picture of the screwdriver. it is a skinny blade, maybe 1/8" or less. It says Camco on it.

_MG_6509_edited-1..jpg

Wharton

Trailer is in storage right now. Next time over we will have to look to see if we have the screens. We didn't order them but our dealer included in the price all sorts of things which we would have paid for willingly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wharton, I believe that truknutt is right. I have a daubber screen on the furnace and it came with one of those..................now if I could just remember where I put it.

Peace
Dave

ChopperBill

In late '07, we did not get any hand tools with our rig. If you can provide pictures or a good description, I'm sure someone can help. There are a good many square drive headed screws (I don't think that's the proper name for them) used in RV's.

They are called Robertson screw driver. Invented in Canada years ago. Best drivers made. You can put a screw on the end of them and they will stay put. Here is an interesting link. Robertson Driver

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got a Robertson screwdriver with different size heads that I picked up at Sears years ago. Square drive screws are used in a lot of furniture construction. I use them in most of the stuff I make. You can also buy driver tips (#1 or #2) for drill/drivers for square drives. I also agree that the photo is the dauber screen spring tool. Usually, the screen comes with a wire loop tool with a split tip like that.

sdagro

That looks like the tool used to attach the springs on the aftermarket CAMCO "daubber screens". Do you have screens on your water heater vent or furnace exhaust?

That is exactly what it is. Just installed my screens on my new 2011 3670 yesterday and used the exact tool. Steve A. Dagro

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
That is exactly what it is. Just installed my screens on my new 2011 3670 yesterday and used the exact tool. Steve A. Dagro

My dealer said the "Dabber screen" will void the furnace warrenty and can cause a fire. I checked on the Suburban web site and sure enough it says to NOT use a screen over the inlet or outlet of their furnaces.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Here's the Q&A from the Suburban site:

"Is it safe to install a bug screen over my furnace vent?

No. Suburban does not approve - nor do we recommend - using the aftermarket screens being sold to cover the outside vent cap. This restricts the exhaust and intake air, resulting in improper burner operation and a potentially unsafe condition."

Personally, I'd like to know how that screen restricts airflow, and also, since when is it more safe to allow the dirt daubers to build a flammable nest inside the furnace? IMHO the manufacturer is just looking for a reason to void warranties.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's the Q&A from the Suburban site:

"Is it safe to install a bug screen over my furnace vent?

No. Suburban does not approve - nor do we recommend - using the aftermarket screens being sold to cover the outside vent cap. This restricts the exhaust and intake air, resulting in improper burner operation and a potentially unsafe condition."

Personally, I'd like to know how that screen restricts airflow, and also, since when is it more safe to allow the dirt daubers to build a flammable nest inside the furnace? IMHO the manufacturer is just looking for a reason to void warranties.

I agree. I've used one on our TT and now on the BH without a problem. Furnace didn't seem to mind it a bit.

Wharton

I agree with boat to 5er. I can't see how the scree restricts any air at all. Now a mud-dauber nest, that really restricts.................

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I was told by a RVIA Certified instructor the reason for that disclaimer is because someone would use regular window screen on it and that would restrict air flow. So the disclaimer. The bug screens sold in RV stores should be fine. Just take it off before taking your unit in for furnace service.