Texas Trailers in California

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I believed I posted this before but could not find the thread, so I will try it again..

I have heard rumors of Texas trailers traveling in California having a problem with LEO's stopping the trailers and weighing them. If they are over weight they require you to remove the items until the trailer meets the weight shown on the mfgr tag. It sounds a bit far fetched but one newer knows.

I have a grandson in the Marines in Camp Pendleton and was wanting to go see him this year.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Thanks
BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobcat, I found a thread about having a CDL but there is one post kinda explaining weight requirements in California. Post #16

Peace
Dave

Bogie

It's doubtful that CHP officers target trailers from Texas or any other state.

If any driver is speeding, driving unsafely, or obviously grossly (unsafely) overloaded or acting in a specious manner, then it is possible to be pulled over. Will they take you to a weigh station? Probably not unless they suspect a real problem. Weight/inspection scales along California highways are only for commercial vehicles. In fact, they don't want pickups or RV's entering them.

So drive safely and sanely and it is unlikely you will have the opportunity to meet a CHP officer up close and personal.

One thing to keep in mind. The speed limit in California for any vehicle towing a trailer is 55 MPH. While many abuse this, going over that limit is always an invitation for being stopped if a CHP officer decides you're going too fast.

centerline

there are no issues with normal towing, but if the trailer being towed is un-level or looks like its unbalanced and not fitted to the tow vehicle properly, or if the trailer has a noticeable amount of sway, then they may pull one in for a safety check and check weigh you... this procedure isnt a normal occurrence, but they like to keep their roads safe from people who dont know how to set up a trailer to be towed...

unless there's an obvious issue with the way the rv is "loaded" or being towed, its rare that an RV is ever pulled in for a safety check, but it can happen in ANY state, and it makes no difference what state you come from.....

but..... where most states will weigh an axle "group" and make sure its not overweight, California has the habit of not only making sure the group is within the weight limit, but they also commonly weigh each axle within the group, to see if any single axle is carrying more than it is supposed to....

trailers that are connected to the tow vehicle and the trailer frame is not parallel with the ground, its going to cause the individual axle weights to vary dramatically, even though the group weight is within the limit....... the same will happen with broken, bent or worn out springs.....
and it will also cause fairly quick tire wear issues......

keep a decent looking, well set up RV and stay within the local tolerances, and the law wont even notice you passing thru.....

thewanderingeight

We have Texas plates and drove through most of California last year on our way north, and then through most of it again on our way south and didn't run into any issues. We have a clean level rig that looks like it's in good shape and I follow the 55 MPH towing speed limit. Plenty of truck drivers would speed past me, but I don't have the money for a ticket, so I just followed the posted speed limits.