The Trip!

Col.Ted

The trip from **** began with, at 65 mph the the rear driver side tire on our Mallard M335 blew...Blown tire.jpg

which ripped through the wheel well destroying the well cover and the metal trim on the side. OK, we survived this event...put the spare on and off we went This happened south of Nashville on the way to Birmingham, AL. Then as we cruised past Montgomery, AL (Blammmm!) rear tire on same passenger side blew...Tire 2.jpg
Again inflicting more damage to an already destroyed side flaring and wheel well...this time bending the steel bumper holding the sewer line...
Side flaring.jpg
Bumper.jpg
This trip just keeps getting better and better...

Now for all our Mallard bloggers, where does one get replacement wheel well trim and rear side flaring??

Attachments

• Blown tire.jpg
    Blown tire.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Blown tire.jpg
    Blown tire.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

TrailCreek

I've been there twice on the same day. Friday the 13th, 2021. Progressive left us on the side of the road. Our tires were 5 years old, with only a few thousand miles. I think it was the hot weather and 40 mph side winds in Wyoming. It tore out both slide out electrical and TV wires plus the fender skirts and J trim. I rebuilt both slide out electrical in a small, out of the way RV park. Fought Progressive to pay, but finally, we got it back to factory standards.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

rhodies1

What is the brand name of the tires that came on your unit. How old are these tires. I can see on the side wall pic that it stated they were made in the USA. Maybe they have some warranty against blowouts. I certainly would be contacting them and discussing the situation to see if you can get some form of resolution.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sucks to have that happen and many have been down that road.
Just curious as to the ambient temperature and did you check the air pressure before starting your journey?
Brand of tires?

Peace
Dave

Col.Ted

It sucks to have that happen and many have been down that road.
Just curious as to the ambient temperature and did you check the air pressure before starting your journey?
Brand of tires?

Peace
Dave
Yes, Ambi temps were 60-65 in Tenn and AL. Yes, all 4 tires were at 80psi.
What is the brand name of the tires that came on your unit. How old are these tires. I can see on the side wall pic that it stated they were made in the USA. Maybe they have some warranty against blowouts. I certainly would be contacting them and discussing the situation to see if you can get some form of resolution.
We got the trailer in 2019, one year old. They were original tires from Heartland. Tire shop showed us that the tires were actually manufactured in 2016.

TrailCreek

When our two Sailuns blew on the same day (one on each side), the CO-OP tire manager said they wouldn't (or couldn't) sell a tire that was 5 years old or older. Mine were almost 6 years old, but the RV was barely 5. He said that there are shops that get tires that are already 1-3 years old all the time. He said that regardless of the miles, age is a big factor with blowouts. We replaced 5 tires. Don't want that to happen again. Yes, I did look it up before pulling the trigger on changing them all.

It may have been age, cross winds, heat, or all of the above. Having a fresh set of tires gave me confidence to finish our cross-country adventure.

Routemaster

From past experiences twice on the same axle first once on the roadside then second on the curbside on the old Everest 5er we had, I would say check the pitch dimensions of your hangers from the pin as well because I found them on my old 5er they were out, cut the back ones off, and re-welded new ones on.
Even on this Arlington the back curbside hanger is out 1 1/2 degrees so I would say the coach wants to turn a corner going down the road.
What do you reckon?
Good luck Den.

Attachments

• Tire - the tread.JPG
    Tire - the tread.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 4
  • other part of the tire.JPG
    other part of the tire.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 2

wdk450

California has had a 55 mph speed limit for towed vehicles since the 1950's, and I have towed at that maximum speed along the Pacific Coast and back to Elkhart. I had 1 blown tire due to axle drum cracking and failing, tire rubbing on the frame.

Once I had a guy with a 5th wheel pass me on I-80 Westbound in the open reaches of Wyoming on the way back from Elkhart at about 70 mph. About 5 miles down the road he was pulled over with 2 blown tires.

scayne62

I've been there twice on the same day. Friday the 13th, 2021. Progressive left us on the side of the road. Our tires were 5 years old, with only a few thousand miles. I think it was the hot weather and 40 mph side winds in Wyoming. It tore out both slide out electrical and TV wires plus the fender skirts and J trim. I rebuilt both slide out electrical in a small, out of the way RV park. Fought Progressive to pay, but finally, we got it back to factory standards.

Geico did the same to me, on the side of a mountain road with 2 young kids under 4, my dad and wife. Told me they could not find anyone to help. I found a roadside place, 5 hours later and $800 I was back on the road. called tire manufacturer. They refused to pay the cost of the tires plus the roadside call, said it was inflated...well no kidding...Good ole Tire King tires, called them, they had the tire shipped back to them and what do you know, they magically found something they considered abuse and refused to pay for the junk tires they sell, not that I expected them to actually cover they junk.

Bogie

Yes, Ambi temps were 60-65 in Tenn and AL. Yes, all 4 tires were at 80psi.

We got the trailer in 2019, one year old. They were original tires from Heartland. Tire shop showed us that the tires were actually manufactured in 2016.
Original tires on trailers (like new cars) are the lowest grade tires they can find. Also, imho, if your RV tires are over 5 years old they are aged out (no matter what they look like) and you are on borrowed time. As already suggested check out rvtiresafety.net.