Tire question

Wrxeac

Hey guys I have a 2013 elkridge bunkhouse. It weighs around 10K loaded. Now last year I blow a tire, put on the spare and headed for the closest tire shop. They replaced my 65psi tire with a 80psi tire. (It was all they carried). So I went a head and bought another one to make sure I had the same type tire on the same axle. So right now I have different psi tires on different axles. We are going to make a 1300 mile trip in a couple weeks so I wanted feed back about running this tire setup. Is it ok? Is anyone else doing this? I do have a TireMinder and each tires condition each stop. Thanks for any info!

Rhyph

My career tire engineering expertise says, no it should not be a problem as long as you have the equally rated tires mounted on the same axle (eg. D load range on the front axle, E load range on the rear axle). You should never mix bias ply, passenger car or LT radials regardless of location. You should never put LT radials on a trailer suspension not designed for it. Never mix ST radials with any of the aforementioned tire types.

Second to that I would say as long as you own zero TowMax tires, if you do, get them off there yesterday.

Lastly my tire engineering liability brain says, all tires should match and I would go for over rated tires no matter the situation.

Rollin_Free

X2 - Never mix and match different types of tires. Purchasing higher load rated tires is a good idea but I would limit it to one step (i.e. Load C to Load D). I don't necessarily agree with staying away from LT tires but your comment is a valid point.

Enjoy your trip

Last edited: