Tire Size Question

OBX_Raineys

I have a Sundance 3310MKS that came with the infamous Tow Max 235/80/16. After almost 2,000 miles the tires seem to be performing well. I keep an eye on tire pressure and don't pull at speeds above 65. However I am considering upgrading tires due to the many complaints about the Tow Max reliability. I am not able to purchase new wheels. Mine are stamped 110, so that is in my favor.

My question is; has anyone put 235/85/16 tires in place of the 80's? Is there a clearance issue? I believe the 85's are a little bigger (taller). I use X-chocks now and there isn't a whole lot of room between the tires currently. Want to keep using them.

jnbhobe

A lot of people are using 235/85/16's at 3042 lbs load, another size is 265/75/16 will get you to 3415 lbs capacity. And they are the same diameter.

ncrzrbk

I put Duravis R250 235/85/16 on my Sundance. The tires are closer together than the towmax. I had about 2500 miles on the TowMax before 1 blew. Not sure you will have room for the chocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gary521

Some people use that size but you can use 245/75/16 which is the exact same size. BTW, you an be a careful as you choose but those original tires will eventually let you down.

GOTTOYS

Almost everybody that is using LT tires has that size. The only 235/80/16 tires you will find are the STs. I've had 2 sets of LT tires on mine in the 235/85/16 size. My first ones were B.F.Goodrich Commercial TAs. My X-Chocks worked fine with them although there wasn't any room left over. Those tires were recalled and replaced with Michelin XPS Ribs, at no additional charge I might ad, the ribs are slightly larger in diameter even though they are also 235/85/16s. They are about 1 1/2" apart and it is a tight squeeze to get the chocks in between them so I quit using them. I now use plain old yellow plastic chocks and really don't notice much if any difference as long as I get them in tight. I love these LT tires. Trouble free and you can drive as fast as you dare. No loss of air even over a several month period, they run cool and the sidewalls are about twice as thick as the junk ST tires in spite of what people that have never tried them say. Don't sample the ST tire Kool Aid..Don

TXTiger

I also went with the Michelin XPS Ribs. They are a little closer together. When at the 2013 National Rally at Goshen I had Lippert inspect them because I thought the axels were too close making the space between the tires tight. Lippert said all was OK. I just finished my second season with them and have yet to add air.

jeffdee

I have a Sundance 3310MKS that came with the infamous Tow Max 235/80/16. After almost 2,000 miles the tires seem to be performing well. I keep an eye on tire pressure and don't pull at speeds above 65. However I am considering upgrading tires due to the many complaints about the Tow Max reliability. I am not able to purchase new wheels. Mine are stamped 110, so that is in my favor.

My question is; has anyone put 235/85/16 tires in place of the 80's? Is there a clearance issue? I believe the 85's are a little bigger (taller). I use X-chocks now and there isn't a whole lot of room between the tires currently. Want to keep using them.

I just replaced the TowMax 235/80R16's on my Cyclone 3110 with Hercules Power STR 235/85R16 12ply, 95 psi tires. These tires are 1 more inch in diameter. There was 5 inches between the TowMax tires on the two axles. There is now 4 inches between the Hercules tires and I can still use the X-chocks on both sides. These 12 ply tires are load rated at 3960 lbs each.