Tire Wear - 2011 Heartland Caliber 265 RLS

I have a 2011 Caliber 265 that had a new set of Maxxis tires when we began our road trip but after about 1500 miles the inside tread of the left (drivers side) front axle is worn bare on the inside tread. All other tires don't show signs of wear and appear to be wearing evenly.

Went to Stinnett RV in Louisville KY (a Heartland dealer) and the tech and warranty reps said it appeared that the leaf springs were hung incorrectly and said they should be installed on the upper hole on the hanger instead of the lower hole (Lippert concurred). The dealer seems to think there may also be an issue with the axle being bent but I can't detect from my visual inspection. Heartland nor Lippert will cover any repairs because the unit is out of warranty even though it appears to have been assembled incorrectly initially.

I purchased the trailer pre-owned in Jan. 2014 from the original owner who used it as his residence and did minimal traveling. When I purchased it still had the original tires that looked very good. I only replaced because I am on a 9 month trip and it was recommended that because of the age of the tires, it would be a good idea to replace them.

The Heartland rep suggested if it were a bent axle or incorrectly installed leaf springs that both tires would have a wear issue. He said it may be a bent spindle. I am bringing the trailer into the dealer tomorrow to get a better assessment of the issue and needed corrective action.

Before doing so I would appreciate anyone else's experience and guidance.

Thank you!!!

danemayer

Hi peterbrodeur,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Unfortunately, there are a number of factors working against you. First you have a 2011 model and the current model year is 2015. It would be pretty extraordinary for any manufacturer offering a 1 year warranty to cover a manufacturing defect that showed up this late. Second you are not the original owner and the warranty doesn't convey past the original owner. Third, axle damage is not generally covered by warranty because it's not usually a manufacturing defect.

I think you're probably have to take care of this yourself.

jimtoo

I would not take it to a dealer unless he has the capability in his shop to straighten and align axles and I'll bet he does not have the equipment. Most likely he will want to sell you a new axle and brakes and everything. Take it to a good truck/trailer repair place, tell then you need an alignment on a trailer and most, or alot of the larger trailer places can do and make it like new... cost is usually $150--$250.

Thanks Jimtoo for the advice. Another RV'er in our park also suggested a axle shop versus the dealer since they would specialize in the issue we are having. We have a recommendation from the park host where we are staying for such a place and will likely be going there today.

Dan, thanks for letting me know that how the warranty works. I felt that since it may be due to an issue when the unit was assembled they may consider covering it. They were firm that their liability ended at a year.

I have a follow up question. I checked the axles and they do seem to bowed downward (higher in the middle, lower near the tires). But the wear on the tire is on the inside tread and the wheel camber is visibly tilted where the bottom of the wheel is further out than the top. The RV rep indicated that the leaf springs were connected to the hangers incorrectly and should be in the upper holes, near the bottom of the coach, rather than the lower holes. Lippert agreed and said that changing the mountings would correct the problem.

Given the downward bow of the axle, wouldn't it seem that the wheel camber would be the opposite of what it is?

danemayer

The bow in the axles is normal. If you didn't have some bow, you'd have a problem. I'm not an axle expert, but if only one out of 4 endpoints is bent, I'd guess some force was applied to that one wheel/axle location.

If Lippert says they mounted the hardware incorrectly and that it should be changed, I'd change it. But I don't know if that will correct all problems.

Thanks, Dan. Went to a truck repair facility yesterday and they determined the axle was bent between the mount and tire and that is why only one tire is showing wear. They are working up a quote to either repair the axle (cut off the nub and weld on a new part) or replace the axle.