TOO WINDY? East from Vegas towards Dallas 4/7- Wind Advisory

8amps

We are at Oasis in Amarillo. All good. We went to the Cadillac Ranch and found a Texas BBQ place.

It was REALLY windy today. We stopped in Santa Rosa (a bit more than half way between Gallup and Amarillo). We had stopped earlier somewhere in New Mexico and it wasn't that bad, but we left Gallup around 8:30 am since the wind was due to pick up late morning and we wanted to get as far as possible. That is really early for us. I'd say around 10-11 is our normal M.O. Except when we originally left Colorado back in October, everything has been within a day's drive so early departures weren't really necessary. Anyhooo... before we stopped in Santa Rosa, we felt occasional gusts but nothing too much and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. So color me surprised when I opened the door in Santa Rosa and it nearly blew the door off (ok, a bit of an exaggeration but it definitely got my attention). It felt like that scene from Gravity (spoiler alert!) when everything looks all peaceful and the next scene chaos is coming at you.

Later, we saw a Class A motorhome towing a car that was all over the road. They later pulled into Oasis RV Park and I chatted with them. They said the wind was terrible. So it gave me even further appreciation for our set-up since we rarely felt anything.

We considered pressing on since we got here around 4 pm local time and the sun didn't set until 8 pm but ultimately decided to stay. Very good thing we did since once we got set up and turned on the TV, there were tornado and major storm watches for the area we were going in to (and will head tomorrow).

What do y'all use for long range weather? I checked weather.com for the main cities/towns we were passing through but is there somewhere else we should be checking? We just lucked out on that one since we would have been going in blindly.

PS Your posts Lynn had me on the lookout for the windsocks and were a good heads up that crosswinds might be an issue. Thanks!

VKTalley

Mary, I usually use Weather.com but Malcolm uses another app. I'll get him to tell me which one it is tomorrow and let you know.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Sounds like your drive through AZ went good!

Hope to see you guyz in Colorado this summer . . .

The Cherry Creek Shakedown is only a month away!

Not sure if we will have our trailer fixed by then, but we'll be there no matter what!

8amps

Weather.com used to have a travel forecast on interstates. I used it many times driving from Denver to Las Vegas, pre-trailer days. Now when I click on commuter forecast, it just gives me directions like google maps but no weather (or at least with all this major weather there has not been one single indication of it).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use an App called "Weather Radio" that shows a currant radar for where you are, along with watches and warnings. It also shows a forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

Weather Underground app for weather information. Radar Pro for accurate, up to the minute radar imagery. I was tired of watching the Weather.com radar showing an approaching storm when the trees were bent over, hail was already falling and the tornado sirens were wailing (they run up to a 10 minute delay - really handy in the heat of a storm).

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I use AccuWeather.com on my Droid Max Android phone . . .

It shows up on the main screen as part of the clock and battery meter . . . and I can add cities that I want to have the weather at a fingers touch (swipe).

It also gives weather alerts and warnings, plus has radar and extended forcasts as well.

8amps

Made it to Dallas, checking the weather the whole way but no problems. Now that we're here though there is major lightning storm going on! But thanks everyone for the help...it was much appreciated.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Made it to Dallas, checking the weather the whole way but no problems. Now that we're here though there is major lightning storm going on! But thanks everyone for the help...it was much appreciated.

Yay!

We had a threat of severe weather in the DFW area, but it ended up firing up further east. Some tornado damage in Longview, TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk