Towing a Cyclone 3010 with a 3/4 Ton 2500 HD

TedS

Makes me wonder. If the truck has the capability and capacity, why add components? To make it better? Then the truck is marginal. Because I want to? Fair enough.

I felt my 2004 Chev 2500 CC Duramax was marginal after I moved up the the Bighorn. I drove the Chevy >5000 miles with the Bighorn before I decided to trade the Chevy 2500 for a new 1-ton. The Chevy had more compression braking than the current Ford 'exhaust assist'. I like the load numbers better. Could have been another Chevy, but Ford got to me first. I really liked the 2004 Chevy.

Lynn1130

I am happy for you. You found your perfect truck. I am driving mine and the upgrades cost me a lot less than a new one ton that would not have fit in my garage, would have cost me much more money than my paid off 04 and would have been a B**** to find a parking place for when I was doing the around town driving that is the other 90% of the driving I do.

Jimsryker

Makes me wonder. If the truck has the capability and capacity, why add components? To make it better? Then the truck is marginal. Because I want to? Fair enough.

I felt my 2004 Chev 2500 CC Duramax was marginal after I moved up the the Bighorn. I drove the Chevy >5000 miles with the Bighorn before I decided to trade the Chevy 2500 for a new 1-ton. The Chevy had more compression braking than the current Ford 'exhaust assist'. I like the load numbers better. Could have been another Chevy, but Ford got to me first. I really liked the 2004 Chevy.

Good questions Ted. What I meant by addressing items as they become apparent is based on the fact that my current 5er is a 25 ft. Aljo. With everything fully loaded, it weighs in at approx. 7200 lbs. Weighed it at the Flying J in Utah when you come in from Arizona. I don't have a working knowledge of what the weight of a loaded 3010 will feel like. I know from personal experience that air bags add a lot of stability. Plus I have concerns about cooling. But I was already planning to add a larger differential cover and a larger tranny cooler. Larger fluid content increases heat disapation. Heat is the biggest contributer break down IMO. All that being said, you might be right. If I do get this rig, I may find I don't need to change a thing.

scottyb

I don't think you will have any problems with the drive train as is. We pulled our 4100 with a 07 Chevy, that already had 180K miles on it. The drive train did fine in the mountains of N. AZ, just the truck wasn't big enough for the 4100. Transmission never got above 205 going up 7 - 8% grades. As far as load capacity, you will probably be over the truck's rated GVWR. It's just a matter of personal choice.

porthole

Retired
Jim,

The 3010 you get may have the higher GVW that is now showing up, 15.5, not 14K.
The following is based on my "real" experience

Our 3010 is rated at 14K. As it comes off the assembly line the trailers are weighed and the "yellow" sticker is applied. This is the sticker stating the cargo capacity of that particular unit as built with options.

So when you see advertised #'s they are a based on a "plain" rig.

Our 3010 had just about every option, including a few that add some weight, double pane windows, washer dryer combo and generator. The yellow sticker gave me a cargo capacity of 1630 pounds.

My out the door weight was 12370. No propane, water, battery, gasoline (fuel cell) etc.
So it is probably a good thing the 3010's now use the pin capacity to bump up the GVW to 15,500.
2300-3000 pound pin weights are real world for me.

It does not take long to eat up the 1630 I have left. Bike and golf cart alone add about 1500.
I also added MOR/ryde independant suspension and disc brakes when the trialer was brand new and that added some weight that was not checked, probably an additional 300-400 pounds to the dry weight.
Even though my trailer has a 14K GVW, it has 16K suspension and running gear on it.

I had a GMC 2500 HD. Before ordering a trailer I added air bags, 4" turbo back exhaust, differential cover and trans pan. All synthetic fluids. The diff cover took the fluid capacity from about a pint to about a gallon IIRC. The trans pan added a gallon of capacity. While I had the trans cover off I added a shift kit. The increased oil capacity was the main goal.

Blocked the EGR, added the Kennedy Diesel kit to eliminate the codes by doing that. Replaced the left side exhaust manifold with the BD version without the bottleneck. Banks tuner, pyros in each manifold. The fuel pressure spring in the rail. Added the wiring harness and relay kit that takes the headlight load off the factory wiring (through the switch) and topped it off with 3 gauges on the pillar, including a differential temp gage since the cover was already drilled for it.

And the single best thing I did was put a Titan 52 gallon tank in.
I also added the Banks turbo brake. While this worked great when it worked there were issues with it that were never corrected, so it was removed.
I did all this to bring the truck up to the task for some hopefully long distance towing. And because I really liked my truck at the time.

When we were looking to order our trailer I did a lot of searching as I did not want to buy a trailer that was too much for my truck, which is one of the reasons I wound up with a Cyclone.

As far as 5th wheel toy haulers go, the Sunnybrook's were to big, the KZ mid profile were too small, the keystone's were -well - keystones, and I looked at a few others before deciding on the Cyclone.

Prior to ordering I flew to Indiana, rented a car and spent 3 days touring the various assembly plants and looking at everything I could. That cost me less then $600 and I figure the eduction I got was priceless.

That all said, I towed the Cyclone for 2 seasons and then sold the GMC. In 2010 when I ordered the Ford it was the best bang for the buck at the time, and still had the lowest unloaded tailgate and bed rail height of the big 3, by 3-4 inches.

BTW, all the stuff I did to the truck did nothing for fuel milage or exhaust temps. It did add a drone at highway speeds and The fluid capacity increase was a plus. And blocking the EGR will be best for the long haul. Whether you like Banks stuff or not, I went with it because at the time the Banks came out on top with the least (almost 0) exhaust "opacity".
Real world with that claim was valid, as I had less black smoke with the tuner then I did when the truck was stock.

I still had to clean the exhaust soot off the side of the trailer though after every trip. That is a moot point with the new DEF trucks. I now have 41K on my 2011 F-350 and the inside of the tailpipe is still finger swiping clean.

Your mileage may vary..............

You will do well picking the Cyclone. I f you search around you will find several that are very similar to the Cyclone and Road Warrior lines. Many of the unique features of the Cyclone's have since showed up on various SOB's

tilleyjs

I have a 2010 Cyclone 3612(14,052). I tow with a 2005 Chevy HD2500 Diesel with rear air bags(I highly recommend these). I'm almost definitely over weight. I have towed it over 20,000 miles. No issues. You will wear out your front end. I have to spend roughly $600-800 for front axles every 30,000-50,000 miles. Any questions, feel free to ask.

HornedToad

First off, I thought that the GVWR for the 3010's went up from 14,000 to 15,500 in 2012?!?
I pulled my 3010 with a 2008 2500HD for a year before upgrading to a 1 ton. I did feel the need to add airbags to the 2500HD after we bought the RV and it did fine...

I towed my FW TH with a 15,500 GVWR 1000 miles home from the dealer with a stock F250, drove better than with my old 32 ft bumper pull. Added air bags and the ride was even better. Towed with the F250 almost a year including a 2000 mile roundtrip before I traded for an F350 DRW.

Will a 3/4 ton truck pull a two axle TH... Yep!!!

Will a 1 ton truck pull it better... Yep!!!

I think both sides of this story are right.

PS I got the F350 DRW so I could get a triple axle TH...
not cuz of any problems with my old F250.

PSS You would think a 38 ft TH was bigger than a 32 ft TT...
it's not!!!