Towing an "Edge"

RonBB

Don't let anybody tell you that you can pull one with the WD hitch and Sway control. Only an Idiot pulls a tongue pull trailer without these.
Pretty broad statement. I assume you meant without a WD hitch and Sway control. I pull an M18 without a weight distribution hitch with an Acura MXD & also a one ton dually. The operators manual that came with the past two Acura's specifically mentioned WDH & not to use them. They are full time all wheel drive vehicles & there was apparently concern from the Honda/Acura engineers about too much weight being placed on the front of the vehicles. I understand that some of the Honda vehicles also have the same text in the Honda operators manual. I have never had an issue with 3+ seasons of towing the M18 without a WDH. The one ton Chevy truck doesn't even know the M18 is there. The stiff springs, extra tread on the road, & combination of a very heavy truck & very light trailer are apparently sufficient to prevent sway with a friction device. The later models of Acura MDX's with the "Advance" package have an active suspension system and the on board computer has a program which works to take care of sway when towing. The 2006 MDX did not have the active suspension, The 2011 did. Neither MDX had sway issues, I do use the friction device as noted in previous posts. I tow at posted speeds.
I post this again to try to keep this a friendly RV forum with helpful information. I am not arguing or disagreeing with anyone & I did not call anyone an "Idiot" because I disagree with them. In my opinion all encompassing comments & name calling should be avoided on friendly RV forums. What is interesting is that this thread was started about 8 months ago, and the post is after the fact & wasn't relevant except for future readers. To each his own, but with the goal of having a friendly non-flaming forum I hope that this type of verbiage can be toned down in the best interest of the forum, as a whole. I will not address any future posts on this topic & let future reader's draw their own conclusions. Wishing everyone fun RVing & safe towing.

Last edited:

camr

I think that "idiot" may have been too strong a description to use here. There are many TT owners who have pulled a trailer for years without using a sway control hitch, just like the fact that there are many people who have owned a house for years without having fire insurance. However, in both cases, you have so little to gain, and so very, very much to lose in the gamble. A good quality sway control hitch is a few hundred dollars more than a regular hitch. When the additional amount spent on the WD hitch is compared as a percentage to the total of the complete cost of the tow vehicle and trailer setup, it is infinitesimal.
I don't think that we have any "idiots" on our forum, just maybe some members who have never experienced a really scary sway experience. Or a house fire!
-Cam

You'll do great. My brother pulls his Trailer with his Jeep Liberty. He hasn't had a problem at all. Just make sure that you have a Weight Distribution Hitch and Sway control. Don't let anybody tell you that you can pull one with the WD hitch and Sway control. Only an Idiot pulls a tongue pull trailer without these.

Nice uninformed post. You have no idea that some vehicle manufacturers advise against use of WDH do you?