Towmax to Sailun S637 - Effect on Height?

Dennyha

I am looking to make the highly recommended switch from my stock Towmax ST235/85R16 to Sailun S637 tires of the same size. I remember others noting they picked up height in making this switch. Looking up the specs from these two tires, both show an OD of 31.7". The towmax spec sheet shows a Static Loaded Radius of 14.9", whereas the Sailun S637 shows a Static Loaded Radius of 14.7" for the same size tire.

For those of you who have made this switch, did you pick up height? Perhaps due to the higher tire pressure and stiffer side wall?

Thanks

Bones

I'll be making this switch this year too as well. I hope to purchase them soon.

danemayer

Most focus has been on space between the tires. And of course you need to check the rims to make sure they're rated for 110 psi/3750 lbs.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I just put a set on a couple weeks ago and have not noticed a difference. My main concern was the clearance between the steps and the tire as I only had about an inch of clearance with the blowmax on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This is the way you figure tire height. Measure the height and then only add 1/2 of that height to be either larger or smaller than the ones you are replacing. This is to say....1" taller...you only add 1/2" in height. On the inside of the rim it will either be stamped "110" or 3750. You will have get under the coach or remove the tire/wheel and look.

I will say this....most 8 lug cast wheels on the larger 5er's are rated for "110" #'s.

I bit the $bullet and opted for 17.5 inch Sailun S637's but had to buy 4 new rims which added a few hundred dollars to the cost. The tire has a 30.4 inch diameter (smaller that the Towmax) but each tire is rated at 4805lbs @ 125psi. This will give you more clearance between your stairs and tire. Check the Sailun specs. Shop and you can find a good buy. My new rims are rated at 200psi. No more worries about weight and piece of mind when the outside summer temp goes over 100. Keep a couple of the Towmax and rims for spares.

Gtoli

I switched out the ST235/80R16 no-name brand tires CW put on and stock wheels with Sailun ST235/85R16 tires and appropriately rated wheels on my 5ver, including the spare. Not a huge change in size and a lot more peace of mind.